Easy Dessert Recipes For Kids: Chocolate Cake in a Mug
The first time I ever saw someone make this, it amazed me. I couldn't believe how well it worked. I've endeavored to find a way to make it work even better and have a rich chocolate flavor that is so good it will have you up making this cake at 4 A.M. Just be sure to have some vanilla ice cream on hand because it is the vanilla ice cream that makes this cake so delicious and yummy. You can also add chocolate syrup, a whipped topping, or maraschino cherries.
- One Large Coffee Mug
- One Blender
- Four Tablespoons Flour
- Four Tablespoons White Granulated Sugar
- Two Tablespoons Unsweetened Cocoa
- One Large Egg
- Three Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- Three Tablespoons Chocolate Chips
- One Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Be sure to use a blender to mix your cake ingredients up in. I found that if I used a blender to mix my ingredients up in that the cakes came out perfect every time and is lighter and fluffier than when you don't.
- Grab the large coffee cup that you need to make this in. Soup mugs make the perfect thing to cook this in. Keep in mind that it's normal for the cake to come up and out of the coffee cup as it cooks. You'll know it's done when it sticks out of the top.
- Prepare your cup by spraying the inside with vegetable cooking spray. You want spray the inside of the mug with a good quality vegetable cooking spray. This will make it easy to get the cake out, and it will make clean up easier later. I always use Pam because I think it is the best product to use. Remember: you get what you pay for.
- Put a napkin or paper towel onto a microwave safe saucer, set your cupped treat on it, and microwave for three minutes. If your microwave has a high setting, put it on high. After three minutes, you will have a delicious treat like in the above photo. With a serving of vanilla ice cream, you have one of the best chocolate cakes you will ever eat. I'm setting here right now eating one with a cup of coffee, and it's oh so wonderful. Even with out the vanilla ice cream, the cake is moist, chewy, and oh so delicious. I worked at one Florida cafe where we sold a hundred or more of these in a night.
- Serve this with vanilla ice cream and top it with cool whip, or some chocolate syrup, or a maraschino cherry on top. Let me tell you made that way the cake is almost sinful.
Give It as a Gift:
Put all the dry ingredients, including the chocolate chips, in a little plastic bag that you can seal. On a little label, put a list of the other ingredients the person will need to make this particular version of the recipe. You're welcome to print this entire article off or the below instructions and include them with the plastic bag of ingredients. People just love getting these as a gift. When I do it, I even include a microwave-safe, large coffee mug that people can make their cakes in. I get thank you's all the time from people I send these to. I'm surprised I'm not seeing these little kits sold at Walmart or similar places. If you follow the recipe exactly, it will turn out perfect each and every time. So be sure to try this with your kids or grand-kids real soon.
I suggest if you know what the persons favorite things are that you can buy a coffee mug say with sea shells on it ,cats or puppies and then you put the coffee mug, the little plastic bag of ingredients and the instructions in a little box that you can wrap and give as a gift. I guarantee you that this will be a unique and fun gift that the person receiving it will really enjoy.
I know I would be happy to get one of these gifts and I bet you know a lot of people who would like a Chocolate Cake In A Mug gift box to. You can think outside the box and use your own ideals for the gift. I recently found a little shop in Charleston South Carolina selling a gift box complete with the coffee mug, ingredients, and instructions.
Keep in mind that these are easy desserts that kids can make. Just caution them that the cake will be hot when it comes out of the microwave. With little kids especially those under 12 an adult should help them with making their chocolate cake in a mug.
You Can Also Make a Brownie!
Questions & Answers
© 2012 Thomas Byers