Easy Whole Wheat Sticky Buns
Sticky buns are a delicious treat for breakfast or a snack that pairs well with milk, coffee, or tea.
- 1 cup warm tap water
- 3 Tbsp margarine
- 1 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp skim milk powder
- 1 1/2 tsp white sugar
- 2 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 1/4 tsp dry yeast
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp walnuts, crushed
- In the measuring cup or another bowl, add the dry yeast to the hot tap water and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add all dry ingredients and 2 tbsp of margarine and stir to mix.
- Add the yeast/water mix to the dry ingredients and stir with a large wooden spoon to blend.
- When the dough is blended, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface, sprinkle a little more flour on top of the dough and knead for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, add the brown sugar and cinnamon and mix them. Set aside.
- On a floured surface with a floured rolling pin, roll the dough into a rectangle approximately 18" x 12".
- Spread 1 tbsp of margarine over surface of rolled dough and then spread brown sugar-cinnamon mixture on top.
- Staring at the wide end, roll dough into an 18" long cylinder.
- Cut dough cylinder into 9 (2" long) pieces and place in a 9" square well-oiled baking pan.
- Set the pan aside to rise for 1-2 hours, until the tops of the buns are even with the top of the pan.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 F.
- Place the pan in the centre of the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- When the buns are done, remove them from the oven and cover them with a plate. Holding both the plate and the pan together, flip the buns out of the pan onto the plate.
- Top with crushed walnuts and enjoy.
Sticky Bun Glaze
For that extra sweet tooth, add this sugar glaze to your buns:
1 cup icing sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp lemon juice
2-4 tsp water
Mix icing sugar, vanilla, lemon juice and water together. Stir to make a soft spreadable glaze. Spread on tops of slightly cooled buns.
Steps to SuccessClick thumbnail to view full-size
To soften and reheat the buns, place them in the microwave for 30-60 seconds and re-enjoy the just-out-of-the-oven experience all over again.
© 2017 Wes Clark