Easy Strawberry Sauce
This Is Worth the Trouble—Trust Me
Strawberry sauce is a snap to make. It's one of those recipes for which the results far outweigh the effort. Only a few ingredients and a few minutes are needed to produce a beautiful sauce that is stunning to look at and even better to eat!
Feel free to use frozen berries for this simple dessert sauce. They work perfectly well, although if fresh berries are in season in your area, knock yourself out. Allowing the berries to sit with the sugar (called maceration) to produce some juices for thickening is a simple trick that works wonders. Using strawberry juices for the thickening instead of water ensures every last drop of flavor stays in the sauce.
- 1 pound fresh or frozen strawberries, washed and hulled or defrosted
- 2 tablespoons sugar plus 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, just a pinch
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place strawberries in a strainer suspended over a mixing bowl. Sprinkle with two tablespoons of sugar and toss. Allow fruit to sit for about 1/2 hour. It will begin to release juices—allow these to collect and set aside.
- Place strawberries, 1/3 cup sugar, and a pinch of salt in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, and cook for about ten minutes, crushing berries while they simmer. This works best with a potato masher, but use whatever you like. Stir occasionally.
- Mix the cornstarch with the collected juices from the berries, and whisk well to form a loose paste. Whisking constantly, pour the juice/cornstarch mixture into the crushed, cooked berries. Stir to fully combine, and bring up to a simmer. The mixture will thicken considerably. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla.
- Pour berries through a fine-mesh strainer, stirring to get all the juices out. The solids will stay behind, giving the strained sauce a beautiful, clear and sparkling appearance. Cool and serve!
Just a Small Saucepan
Once Simmering, Crush the Berries
A Hint of Vanilla . . .
Strain the Sauce
Check out the Quick Tutorial!
How to Make Your Own Vanilla Extract
© 2017 Jan Charles