Eggless Crunchy Oatmeal Coconut Cookies
Parle Style Coconut Cookies With Oatmeal
Baking with oatmeal can produce some of the healthiest and crunchiest bakes. This healthy coconut cookie recipe uses the goodness of whole wheat flour and oat meal. The use of coconut adds the much-needed flavor to the recipe. You do not need to add any other spice to make it flavorful.
Why Whole Wheat Flour?
Baking with whole wheat is a healthier alternative to all-purpose flour. I avoid using refined flour at all costs, for it has no nutritional benefits; rather, the all-purpose flour only adds calories to any recipe.
So why use refined flour when whole wheat flour serves the same purpose?
My baking experience says whole wheat flour is not only a healthier baking option, but also it gives you crunchy, crispy bites.
Doctor Johnson proposed to define the word ‘oats’ thus: A grain which in England is generally given to horses, but in Scotland supports the people. And I replied: Aye, and that’s why England has such fine horses, and Scotland such fine people.
– James Boswell
Benefits of Oats: The Superfood
I am an oatmeal lover and have experimented with more than 45 oatmeal recipes.
- Cholesterol-lowering properties: As a rich source of dietary fiber, oats benefit health in more ways than one. The soluble fiber is beta-glucans, which breaks down while passing through the digestive tract. As a result, it secretes a gel that traps cholesterol-related compounds, thus helping lower absorption of bad cholesterol in the bloodstream. The trapping of bad cholesterol, LDL, does not impact the level of HDL or good cholesterol.
- Rich in antioxidants: Oats are also rich in tocotrienols. These antioxidants form vitamin E together with tocopherols. The tocotrienols are known to inhibit synthesis of cholesterol while lowering blood cholesterol levels.Antioxidants play in crucial role in fighting off free radicals. Oats are rich in avenanthramides, the cancer-fighting antioxidant compound that can help reduce the risk of colon cancer.
- Skin rejuvenator: Beta-glucan helps in repairing skin cells. In fact, beta-glucan is a miraculous compound with numerous health benefits, from lowering cholesterol to acting as a skin rejuvenator to improve immune function and resistance to parasites.
- Appetite control: Fiber-rich oatmeal rich in β-glucan may help curb your hunger pangs and control appetite An October 2009 study published in "Molecular Nutrition & Food Research" states clearly that β-glucan increases the amount of cholecystokinin, the hunger-fighting hormone. A combination of fibrous foods along with a bowl of oatmeal would work wonders on your appetite and satiate cravings.
Now coming back to the recipe, I have always been a passionate lover of coconut cookies and have tried various combinations to come up with delicious bites. This batch of crispy oatmeal coconut cookies has instantly become a favorite in my home.
These healthy oatmeal coconut cookies are certainly addictive, and you cannot stop at having one.
Without further ado, let's get back to the recipe, so you can bake a fresh batch for yourself and enjoy crispy, crunchy coconut bites, loaded with the goodness of oats.
- 1 cup dessicated coconut powder
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup oatmeal
- 1 tbsp sugar powder
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 2 tbsp cold unsalted butter
- Pinch salt
- 1-2 tbsp water
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- Mix the flours with coconut powder and sieve with baking powder and baking soda
- Mix sugar powder.
- Add small pieces of cold butter. You need to rub it into the flour with hands.
- Pour honey into the mixture. The flour will start to look crumbly.
- Add 1 tbsp of water and an equal quantity of milk.
- Gather all the ingredients with hand. Do not knead. The cookie dough is never kneaded. If the dough looks dry, add 1 tbsp of milk and mix well to make a soft dough.
- Cover the dough log in an aluminum foil or parchment paper and keep it in a refrigerator for 3-4 hours. If you can keep it overnight, nothing better than that.
- Preheat oven at 180 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Cut the dough log into desired shapes. First, you will knead to roll it out into a thick chapati.
- Set the oven temperature to 170 degrees and bake these eggless cookies with oatmeal for 20 minutes. Do not forget to allow the cookies time to cool down naturally before dunking them in a hot cup of milk or tea. Take out and cool on a cooling rack.
More by this Author
Punjabi Kitchudi is a healthy blend of rice and lentils. Ideally prepared as a one-pot meal, kitchudi serves two purposes—It satiates your hunger and serves as medicinal food for ailments.
No comments yet.