From old Italian dishes to delicious cakes and cookies, I absolutely love cooking.
An Alternative to the Sweeter Frostings
This is one of those recipes that I try and ask my family to rate. They rated this one as excellent with three stars. While they do like the buttercream frostings, sometimes they get tired of them and want something lighter and creamier and different. This one fits the bill.
Of course, having cocoa in it does help with the flavor. We all are chocolate lovers and we sit up and take notice of any recipe with chocolate in it. I hope you enjoy this as much as we did. In fact, my oldest daughter wanted this cake and frosting as her birthday cake, and she doesn't usually like cake. This was the exception.
Read More From Delishably
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves 6 to 8 people
- 2 envelopes dry whipped topping mix
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 box German Chocolate cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 box instant chocolate pudding mix
- amount on back of cake mix, oil
- whole milk substitute the water for the milk on the back of the cake mix
- Prepare the cake according to the directions on the back of the box, adding the instant pudding and substituting the milk for the water.
- Bake according to the pan you use and what is on the back of the box.
- Let cake cool completely and prepare frosting.
- Combine whipped topping mix and cocoa in a cold deep, narrow bowl. Blend in milk and vanilla on low speed of mixer. Whip at high speed until topping forms soft peaks. Whip 2 minutes longer until light and fluffy.
- Frost your cake and serve.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
Options for a Lighter Recipe
- You can substitute low-fat milk for the whole milk in the frosting and cake mix.
- You can also substitute the fat-free or sugar-free pudding mix for the regular pudding mix.
© 2018 Rachel L Alba