German Chocolate Cake With a Light Cocoa Frosting
Photos of German Chocolate Cake with Light Cocoa Frosting
An Alternative To The Sweeter Frostings
This is one of those recipes that I try and ask my family to rate. They rated this one as excellent with *** (three stars).
While they do like the buttercream frostings, sometimes they get tired of them and want something lighter and creamier and different. This one fits the bill.
Of course having cocoa in it does help with the flavor. We all are chocolate lovers and any recipe with chocolate in it, we sit up and take notice. I hope you enjoy this as much as we did. In fact my oldest daughter wanted this cake and frosting as her birthday cake and she doesn't usually like cake. This was the exception.
- 2 env. dry whipped topping mix
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 c. heavy cream
- 1/2 c. whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 box German Chocolate cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 box instant chocolate pudding mix
- amount on back of cake mix, oil
- whole milk, substitute the water for the milk on the back of the cake mix
- Prepare the cake according to the directions on the back of the box; adding the instant pudding and substituting the milk for the water. Bake according to the pan you use and what is on the back of the box.
- Let cake cool completely and prepare frosting. Combine whipped topping mix and coca in a cold deep narrow bowl. Blend in milk and vanilla on low speed of mixer. Whip at high speed until topping forms soft peaks. Whip 2 minutes longer until light and fluffy.
- Frost your cake and serve. Refrigerate leftovers.
You can substitute low fat milk for the whole milk in the frosting and cake mix.
You can also substitute the fat free or sugar free pudding mix for the regular pudding mix.
© 2018 Rachel L Alba