German Chocolate Cupcakes With Fresh Raspberries
German Chocolate Cupcake With a Twist
Typically, German chocolate cupcakes are topped with chocolate frosting or coconut pecan frosting. I like the coconut pecan frosting option, but decided to replace the chocolate frosting with vanilla frosting. I topped all of my cupcakes with a fresh raspberry garnish. The flavors marry perfectly, and the cupcakes look lovely.
Perfect Summer Treat
These cupcakes are super easy to make, and they are a perfect summer treat for you and your family. I hope you will try this recipe and enjoy it as much as we do!
If you don't want to make them as cupcakes, you can pour the mixture into a cake mold and bake as a whole cake.
For the cupcakes:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed light-browned sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup whole milk, room temperature
- 4 tablespoons warm water
- 2 large eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
For the coconut-pecan frosting:
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk (regular fat)
- 2 eggs yolk
- 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/4 cup salted butter, diced into pieces
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
For the decoration:
- Vanilla frosting (I used ready-made)
Note: For this recipe, I have used vanilla frosting instead of chocolate frosting. You're welcome to make the chocolate frosting, if you prefer, as it is a classic combination.
Prep time: 10-15 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Yield: 24 cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a standard-sized cupcake tray with baking papers. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Use a whisk or spatula to stir well. Set aside.
- Combine the butter into the dry mixture. Beat together with a mixer at medium speed.
- Add the vanilla and eggs. Continue to beat until blended.
- Combine the milk and warm water into the flour mixture. Beat the mixture for a few minutes or until it is combined.
- Use an ice-cream scoop to fill each cupcakes cup.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Place the cupcakes on a wire cool rack. Let completely cool before decorating.
- Make the coconut-pecan frosting: In a medium saucepan, add brown sugar, granulated sugar, butter, egg yolks, and evaporated milk. Stir to combine and bring the mixture to a low boil over medium heat. Stir constantly for several minutes until the mixture begins to thicken. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla, nuts, and coconut.
- Assemble the cupcakes: Decorate each cupcake with the vanilla frosting and coconut-pecan frosting. Use a frosting spatula or palette knife to spread the frosting on each cupcake.
- Top each cupcake with fresh raspberries.
- Enjoy with an iced coffee or iced tea!
© 2020 Liza