Crunchy Ginger Snap Cookies Recipe
I love everything ginger. Ginger beer, ginger ice cream, ginger ale, and most of all ginger biscuits (known as cookies in the U.S.).
For some time, I have been on a quest to find the best biscuit recipe; the cookie that makes a nice "snap" when you break it in half.
Each recipe I tried resulted in a good cookie, but always soft and chewy. My childhood memory was a crunchy gingersnap cookie. Recently, I hit on the recipe to produce just that.
Your diet can always start on Monday.
Benefits of Ginger
A British medical journal called The Lancet reported that 2 capsules of powdered ginger root (940 milligrams) was twice as effective as Dramamine, a drug used for those who suffer motion sickness.
A study was conducted by two psychologists, and involved 36 students in a motorized chair. These volunteers were spun for 6 minutes each. Half of the students who took the ginger lasted the whole 6 minutes. And those who took Dramamine? Not one of them lasted the whole time! One of the psychologists claims ginger can counteract diarrhea and vomiting from gastrointestinal flu. Is this why we crave ginger when we are ill? My wife always wants tea and ginger biscuits!
Ginger contains a compound that dissolves parasites and parasitical eggs. Therefore, after a visit to a tropical country, it would be good to take any ginger product, especially in its raw form. It may not be to your liking but it sure is better than having parasites.
The University of Michigan conducted a study using Gingerol, the principle component in ginger. It demonstrated that Gingerol can help to kill ovarian cancer.
In Perú, ginger is sliced and put in hot water as a cure for stomach aches.
Ginger has been around for thousands of years. In the Bible at Revelation 18:13, there is mention of "Indian spice," which literally translated means "amomum" or an aromatic shrub of the ginger family.
Cup / 152g
Let's get baking!
- Preheat the oven to 350 F degrees (175c degrees)
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and then add the sugar a little at a time. Add a large egg and mix in well with food mixer. Add 1/4 cup of molasses and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, mix all the dry ingredients together well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the creamed butter mix a little at a time, until a cookie dough forms.
- On a floured surface roll the dough to about 3mm thick and cut out cookies with cookie cutter of your choice. Transfer to a baking sheet with a silicone liner (or lightly oil the baking tray) and put in the oven, baking until golden brown.
- Bakers Tip: every oven is different, keep a close eye on these after 10 minutes.
Tips & Ideas
- Cardamom or other spices of your choice can be added to the mix.
- Use a Teflon baking sheet liner to stop cookies sticking to baking sheet.
- When cooled, if the cookies are not crunchy, place in the oven again for a second bake for a few minutes.
- At the dough stage, how about adding small pieces to your homemade ginger ice cream and fold in so that you get double ginger cookie dough ice cream!
- Make a ginger cream filling and put between 2 cookies as a sandwich.
- Crush the biscuits to use as a fantastic cheesecake base.
Method in picturesClick thumbnail to view full-size
Ginger Snap Creams
Add another dimension to your ginger snaps by making a ginger butter cream to sandwich two biscuits together for a real ginger overload experience.
- 2 oz Butter at room temperature
- 4 oz Icing sugar
- Ginger syrup to taste
- Cream the butter with a food mixer until smooth.
- Add the icing sugar a little at a time. As you add icing sugar, drizzle in ginger syrup to help the mix. Check the buttercream is to your taste, tweaking with more syrup if necessary.
Putting the Sandwich Together
- Put a small amount of ginger butter cream in the middle of one of the cookies (wrong side)
- Spread the cream so that it is thinner on the edges and thicker in the middle.
- Place 2nd half on top and apply slight pressure until cream feels evenly placed between the 2 halves.
Questions & Answers
I don't have a silicone Teflon sheet. Will parchment paper suffice, to prevent sticking?
You can but I would grease it lightly to stop it from sticking.Helpful 1