Jan has been cooking and writing about food for over 20 years. She has cooked on multiple television stations, including the Food Network.
Homemade Chocolate Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting
I make all my kids' birthday cakes, and it's a house tradition that they can pick whatever they want. Ricky is the oldest, and he's asked for the same cake for years now—a perfectly chocolatey cake with cream cheese frosting.
He's particular about the chocolate part also; he loves chocolate, but not dark chocolate and not anything too fudgy. This is the perfect solution. It has a moist, rich, full chocolate flavor, but it's not too heavy on the fudgy part. True chocolate only, thank you!
The cream cheese frosting has to be just right as well. Sweet, but not too sweet, and with the full cream cheese flavor highlighted. This is also spot on. Together the cake and frosting complement each other, for the perfect combo.
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk buttermilk
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups cake flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 cup hot water
For the Frosting:
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9 x 13 inch casserole or baking dish with a neutral cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Stir in buttermilk, vegetable oil, and vanilla, stirring after each addition to make sure ingredients are fully incorporated.
- In a second mixing bowl, add sugar, cake flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking soda. Mix thoroughly, so that the dry ingredients are well combined.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix well. Add the cup of hot water, and mix well. The batter will be rather thin - that's fine.
- Transfer batter to the prepared baking dish. Bake at 350°F for about 40–45 minutes, or until a skewer or cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool in the pan until fully cool.
- Meanwhile, make the frosting. In a medium mixing bowl, beat butter and sour cream together until light and fluffy. Mix in powdered sugar and vanilla, and beat until smooth.
- Transfer cooled cake to a serving platter by inverting the cake pan. Spread cream cheese frosting over the top of the cake and chill until serving.
Step-by-Step Photo Guide
Read More From Delishably
See How to Make Homemade Chocolate Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
© 2017 Jan Charles