Mama Ruby's Made-From-Scratch Caramel Cake Recipe
Mama Ruby's Delicious Caramel Cake Made from Scratch
I love caramel cake. My mom's is the best! Luckily for you all, she gave me permission to share her delicious, popular recipe with you all. Learn how to make both the cake and icing from scratch.
Caramel is one of my most favorite sweets and tasty delights! Here's a brief history that you may find interesting: Caramel is basically an American confection that can be traced back to as early as the 17th century. Folks began using caramelized sugar with water to make goodies and ate these as candies.
However, since it was so delicious, easy to make and transport, and had such a long-lasting shelf life, other advanced variations started happening. By the mid-1850s, someone discovered that the addition of milk and fat to the caramelized sugar yielded a sweet, chewy confection, which we know as caramel. Caramel was born and has continued to gain popularity! You can enjoy it in this cake, for one.
Ingredients for Caramel Cake and Icing
For the cake:
- 2 sticks of butter
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 8 ounces of sour cream
- 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
For the icing:
- 2 sticks butter
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 cups powdered sugar
Instructions for the Cake
- Preheat your oven to 355F.
- Cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer until fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time and beat. Then, add sour cream.
- Fully mix in dry ingredients until batter is relatively smooth.
- Prepare your three cake pans and lightly butter and flour them.
- Pour your cake better into the three lightly buttered and floured pans and smooth out.
- Bake for about 35 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cake(s) cool for about five minutes in the pan, then turn them over on a cooling rack(s).
Instructions for the Caramel Frosting
- Melt butter and brown sugar and evaporated milk.
- Cook for two minutes over medium heat. Add vanilla and mix. (Note: Make sure this is no longer than two minutes so you don't burn your frosting).
- Remove immediately from heat after two minutes.
- Add powdered sugar and beat until smooth.
The frosting should be enough for a three-layer cake. Once you are done making both components, frost your cake layers to your liking and enjoy!