Thelma Alberts is passionate about baking and cooking, and she likes to get creative. She worked for many years in cafeterias in Germany.
My Best-Selling Cake
I used to work in a cafeteria/cake shop in Germany where the owner taught me how to bake and decorate cakes and pastries. This recipe is my own adaptation, based on many years of experimentation, for the best way to make an authentic Schwarzwälder kirschtorte.
When I lived for a few months in the Philippines, I baked European confections for friends and relatives who placed orders for my cakes. Black Forest cake happened to be my best-selling cake.
What Is a Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte?
The Schwarzwälder kirschtorte is a popular German cake that is known in English as a Black Forest cake. The cake is named after the southern German region of the Schwarzwäld (the Black Forest). It is a chocolate layer cake with cherries and flavoured with kirschwasser (cherry liqueur). It is then decorated with whipped cream and fresh or glazed cherries.
I have eaten Black Forest cakes in England, Ireland and in my home country of the Philippines, but I have found that their versions of this cake are too sweet. The best version of this cake I've ever had were all made in Germany.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
1 hour 15 min
14 to 16 servings
Kitchen Utensils Needed
- Mixing bowl
- Electric mixer
- Weighing scale
- Strainer or colander
- Cake rotating turntable
- Pastry bag
- Baking tin (28 cm or 11 inches)
Step 1: Bake the Cake
- 250 grams flour, sieved
- 250 grams sugar, brown or white
- 250 grams margarine, soft and room temperature
- 4 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons chocolate powder
- Heat the oven to 160°C or Gas 3. Meanwhile, mix the flour and baking powder in the mixing bowl.
- Add the sugar, margarine and eggs. Blend them together with an electric mixer until the batter is smooth and light in color.
- Add the chocolate powder to the batter and blend well.
- Grease the baking tin with soft butter or margarine. Sprinkle a little flour in it and keep turning the baking tin until the flour is distributed at the bottom and the sides of the tin. It will make the cake easily get out.
- Spoon the cake batter into the baking tin and bake for 40-45 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean after picking it. Remember, every oven is different and so the time for baking might be lesser or more than 45 minutes. Let it cool or stay overnight before filling.
Tip: Remember, it is a sponge cake and so don´t open the oven before the time has come to an end as it might sink.
Step 2: Make the Cherry Pudding Filling
Read More From Delishably
- 1 liter double whipped cream
- 1 to 2 packets Gelatine or Sahnefest (use as prescribed)
- 680 grams cherries, pitted
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cherry liqueur
- Sieve the cherries from the juice and set aside.
- Put the cherry juice in a cooking pot. Add cinnamon, sugar and cornstarch.
- Stir the liquid mixture while cooking and bring it to a boil. Remove from heat, add the sieved cherries and mix it well.
- Let the cherry filling cool before using.
- Whip the cream with the gelatine (don´t forget to follow the gelatine instructions) until hard enough for the filling.
- You can use 1 can of ready-made cherrry filling.
- If you don´t like alcohol in your cake, just brush the cake layers with cherry juice instead of cherry liqueur.
Some of the Ingredients
Step 3: Assemble the Cake
- Cut the chocolate sponge cake twice on your cake turntable and so you have 3 layers or pieces of the sponge cake. By using the cake rotating turntable, it is easy for you to assemble your cake.
- Set the 2 top layers aside. Brush the lower part of the cake with the cherry liqueur. Then distribute the cherries on top but leave a 1-inch border around the edges.
- Put 1/3 of the whipped cream on top and make sure the first layer will be covered with the whipped cream.
- Then put the second layer on top of the whipped cream. Brush with the cherry liqueur on top. Add the next 1/ 3 of the whipped cream and spread it wisely.
- Put the last layer of the sponge cake on top of it and if you like you can brush with cherry liqueur on it (if you still have) and add the rest of the whipped cream on top and on the side of the cake. Press the chocolate shavings on the side of the cake.
- Decorate the top with the use of piping bag the way you like it with the remaining whipped cream and some fresh, glazed or maraschino cherries and chocolate shavings in the middle of the cake. Place the cake in the fridge until you are ready to serve.
Small Black Forest Cake
The recipe above makes 10 to 16 servings, depending on how big your slices are. It is good to make for a large family or for a party, but if you want to make a small cake, simply halve the recipe. In this case, the cake would have just two layers, instead of three, and it would make 4 to 6 servings.
I made the small-size cake last Easter. As I had a lot of cherry pudding filling, I did not decorate the top of the cake with whipped cream. Instead, I served the cake with the cherry filling on top.
I hope you will try this Schwarzwälder kirschtorte, and please tell me how it goes. Happy baking!
How to Cut and Assemble Your Cake
Decorating With a Pastry Bag
© 2015 Thelma Alberts