How to Make an Apple Crumble Pie Dessert
How to Make a Crumble Topping
In the recipe, I show you how to make the best apple crumble pie. Have you always wanted to cook this recipe but were not sure how to make the crumb topping? There are step-by-step instructions with photos so you can create this great-tasting dish.
- 4 large cooking apples, Bramleys are the best
- 75g (3oz) of sugar, for the filling
- 225g (8oz) of plain flour
- 100g (4oz) of butter
- 100g (4oz) of sugar, for the crumble topping
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
Step 1: Make the Crumble
- Pour the flour in a mixing bowl.
- Cut the butter in to small pieces and throw into the flour.
- Use your hands to mix these two ingredients together until fully combined. It should look like breadcrumbs when ready.
- Add the sugar and the ground cinnamon together and mix in well.
- Leave this aside as you prepare the filling for your pie.
Step 2: Make the Apple Filling
- Peel the cooking apples and remove the core.
- Cut into slices and put into your baking dish.
- Evenly distribute the sugar over the apples.
Step 3: Combine and Bake
- Make sure that there are no gaps in the baking dish by using a knife to spread the apples evenly. This is essential or the crumble will soak up too much of the juices.
- Using a large spoon sprinkle the crumbs evenly over the apples.
- If you like your crumble to be a little more caramelized then add a final sprinkling of sugar on top.
- Place in the oven to cook for 35 to 40 minutes until it is golden brown.
- It is best to leave it to cool and settle for about 10 minutes.
- Serve hot with custard or ice cream.
Apple Crumble Pie
Can You Freeze Crumble Topping?
The crumble freezes very well. I always make a double batch of crumble and place the second one in a freezer bag. So next time I want to make this recipe half the job is already done. Take out the bag a few hours before you intend to cook the pie and let it defrost at room temperature.