Liza is a homemaker. She has an obsession with coffee and loves photography, baking, cooking, and writing.
Rich Chocolate Filling in a Crisp Chocolate Crust
If you're a chocolate lover like me, you will love this luscious chocolate tart. It has a thin chocolate crust and is filled with a smooth and silky dark chocolate. It is the perfect dessert to enjoy with family after a weekend dinner.
The ingredients are quite simple. For the crust, I used fine pastry flour. The chocolate filling is a combination of dark chocolate, heavy cream, eggs, butter, vanilla, and coffee. Yes, coffee. I always find that coffee accentuates the flavor of chocolate. Once the chocolate filling is ready, it is poured into a crisp pastry crust, and it just needs 12 minutes to bake.
For the final presentation, I decided to decorate the tart with fresh raspberries, blueberries, and chocolate-covered strawberries.
For the chocolate pastry:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 3 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 1 cup pastry flour (I used Bob's Red Mill unbleached white fine pastry flour)
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder (I used Hershey's)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the filling:
Read More From Delishably
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips (I used Ghirardelli)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup hot coffee
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the optional garnishes:
- Make the chocolate pastry: In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter with icing sugar until smooth.
- Add the egg yolks all at once in the butter mixture and beat until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, cornstarch and salt. Add this to the butter mixture. Use a spatula to stir until evenly combined.
- Shape the dough into a disc, wrap with a cling wrap, and chill until ready to use.
- Make the crust or shell: Take out the chilled crust from the fridge. Knead the chocolate pastry dough once or twice on a lightly floured work surface to soften, then roll out the dough to a circle just less than 1/4-inch thick.
- Lift the dough carefully to line a 9-inch removable-bottom fluted tart pan. Press the dough into the shell and trim away any excess.
- Dock the pastry with a fork. Chill the tart shell for at least 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Place the chilled crust shell onto a baking tray and bake it for about 18 minutes or until you see that the pastry has an even, dull finish. Allow it to cool while you prepare the filling.
- Make the filling: In a saucepan, bring the cream and butter up to a simmer and pour the mixture over the chocolate chips in a large bowl, letting it sit for just a few seconds.
- Gently stir the mixture with a spatula until the chocolate melts, then whisk in the sugar and the coffee. Lightly beat the eggs in a small dish and add to the chocolate mixture.
- Add a teaspoon of vanilla into the chocolate mixture and whisking gently until incorporated.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the cooled tart crust and bake (still at 350° F) for 12 minutes.
- Allow the tart to cool to room temperature, then chill for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Decorate the tart as desired. Slice the chocolate tart and place on a serving plate and enjoy!
Chocolate Pastry Photo Tutorial (Steps 1–4)
Chocolate Crust Photo Tutorial (Steps 5-9)
Chocolate Filling Photo Tutorial (Steps 10-14)
Decorate the Chocolate Tart (Optional)
© 2021 Liza