Baking is one of my favorite pastimes. I enjoy baking cookies, cakes, breads, pies, muffins, cupcakes, and much more.
Chocolaty and Fudgy Brownies: Yum!
These brownies are delightfully rich, chocolaty, and fudgy—just the way I like them. The recipe actually calls for three kinds of chocolate: semi-sweet chocolate chips, chocolate chunks, and cocoa powder. The semi-sweet chocolate chips and the cocoa powder give a rich taste. The chocolate chunks bring that amazing fudgy and gooey quality. All I can say is they are absolutely scrummy and perfect for the holiday season.
What Is Fine Pastry Flour?
This recipe calls for fine pastry flour, which is flour that is milled from soft white wheat with low-protein content, making it ideal for tender baked goods. I learned that this flour is perfect for making biscuits, cookies, pie crusts, cakes, pancakes, and muffins. Don't worry, if you don't have pastry flour in the pantry, you're welcome to use all-purpose flour.
When making brownie, you can use a hand mixer or you can use the traditional method of mixing the ingredients by hand. Both methods are equally good. For this recipe, I've used the traditional method: I used a whisk to incorporate the ingredients. However, when folding the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, be careful not to overmix as this will cause the brownies to be more cake-like in texture.
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used Hershey's)
- 8 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3/4 cup pastry flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup chocolate chunks
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C.
- Melt the chocolate: Add some water to a medium saucepan or pot and bring to a very gentle simmer.
- Place a heat-safe bowl on top, but make sure the bottom is not touching the water.
- Add the chocolate chips to the bowl and stir with a whisk or spatula. Continue to whisk until smooth and melted. Remove the bowl from heat. Let it cool.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the butter and the sugar. Use a whisk to mix until it's well combined. Then add in the eggs and vanilla. Whisk until it's fluffy and light in color. (A hand mixer can be used for this step.)
- Whisk in the melted chocolate. Then sift in the flour, cocoa powder, and salt.
- Fold in the chocolate chunks, then transfer the batter into a parchment paper–lined square baking dish.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, depending on how fudgy you like your brownies. (I baked for 25 minutes.)
- Take out the brownies from the oven and let them cool completely before slicing.
- Slice the brownies and enjoy with a glass of milk!
© 2020 Liza