Heather is happiest when taking a beautiful photo, creating something in her kitchen, or elbows-deep in a DIY project.
Breaking Bad on AMC
Breaking Bad is easily one of my all-time favorite television shows. As a total square who has never even tried drugs in my 30 years of existence, I find it all very interesting—but it's more than just a show about drugs. Each character is truly amazing and I have enjoyed watching the rise, fall, and downright evolution of everyday people like you and me. I am very intrigued by how different people react to different situations. How would you react to finding out you had cancer and that your time on this earth and with your family was very limited? How would you react if you found out your spouse was a drug manufacturer? These are a couple of the themes in the show. While people can easily argue back and forth about character motivations and do morals and ethics have gray areas when we're talking about life, death, and the people we live and die for. One thing is for sure: cupcakes are delicious! So let's, "Get cooking."
My husband and I attended a wedding rehearsal dinner last year that had awesome Breaking Bad cupcakes made by the mother of the bride. Since then, I've seen a variety of versions all over the internet, especially on Pinterest. I hadn't seen any that were inspired by colors or the large role that colors play in the television drama—so I decided to change that! I give you Walter White cupcakes with Jesse Pinkman frosting and Blue Sky crystals. This entire recipe is from scratch but if you're pressed for time and like the concept, just simply pick up a boxed white cake, pink frosting, and some decorative blue sprinkles.
This Recipe Yields One Dozen Deliciously Bad Cupcakes
A Quick Word About My Butter
You'll notice the recipes below call for 1/2 cup of butter which equates to one stick. You'll also notice my pictures each show two sticks of butter. What you see pictured are half sticks as that's all my store had last time I was shopping. I actually think they're really cute.
Ingredients for Walter White Cupcakes
- 1 and 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 and 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
Instructions for Vanilla Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a bowl, cream sugar and soft butter with an electric mixer.
- Beat egg whites into the mixture, one at a time.
- Add vanilla and mix well.
- Combine flour and baking powder. Add to mixture gradually mixing well. Add milk and mix well.
- Fill muffin pan with cupcake liners and distribute batter evenly into 12 liners. Liners should be about 3/4 full.
- Bake in 350°F oven for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from oven when done and cool completely before frosting.
Ingredients for Jesse Pinkman Frosting
- 4 cups concefectioners' sugar
- 1 stick butter
- 2 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice
- 3 teaspoons almond flavor
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
Instructions for Frosting
- Beat warm butter with electric mixer until soft and creamy.
- Gradually add sugar while mixing.
- Add milk and mix well.
- Add almond flavoring and cherry juice and stir until thoroughly mixed.
Ingredients for Blue Sky Crystals
- 1 and 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 or more drops blue food coloring
Fake Drug Crystal Candies
Instructions for Crystals
- Pour sugar and water into a saucepan. Add food coloring.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce to medium-high heat and cook for 5 to 6 minutes stirring often. The mixture should be syrupy.
- Pour onto a cookie sheet with sides. Tilt pan to ensure even coverage if necessary. Allow it to cool completely.
- When cool, twist the cookie sheet (like an ice cube tray) to break the glass or tap the glass with the back of a large knife to shatter it.
Breaking Bad Cupcake Tips
- If you'd like your cupcakes to truly be white, make sure you carefully separate the egg yolks and whites and only use the whites in your cake mix. If you don't mind yellow cake, add the yokes too.
- Make sure your vanilla cupcakes are completely cool before frosting! The delicious frosting is buttercream and will melt and drip off even slightly warm cupcakes.
- If you'd like a pinker color for your frosting, add a little more maraschino cherry juice or a drop of red food coloring.
- Place your frosting bag in a tall cup while filling it. This makes life easier!
- I used just one drop of blue for coloring my crystals. Start with one and see what you think. A little can go a long way.
- If your crystals aren't shattering and breaking they may not be ready yet. Putting them in the fridge can help the syrup to set and harden.
- Make your crystals the night before if possible. This can save some time and stress.
Making cupcakes and frosting and crystals from scratch can be exhausting but is totally worth it. These three components complement each other beautifully. The cake is moist and perfectly white. The frosting recipe is one of my favorites because it's deliciously sweet and creamy. The candy glass crystals came out just the way they looked in my imagination. I hope you can give these recipes a try next time you're in the kitchen.
- Do you have a favorite buttercream frosting recipe?
- What's your favorite or least favorite episode of Breaking Bad?