Recipes for Smooth Cheese Candies
Soft Cheeses Are Best for Candies
I experimented with several cheese candy recipes my friends have collected by making a small portion of each recipe for a test. From there, I adjusted ingredients to my liking.
You can do the same thing by cutting each list of ingredients in half or dividing by four to make a small batch of the recipes presented below.
In some of these recipes, the addition of fruit with an accompanying reduction in liquid ingredients leads to a nice, fudge-textured candy. I especially enjoy adding some whole-cranberry sauce to the cream cheese candy recipe below, since the fruit tastes good with the lemon used.
Try Some Luxuriously Smooth Sweets
In the following recipes, you can use any soft, mild cheese, including processed types, mild cheddar at room temperature, cream cheeses, Neufchatel, fruit-flavored flavored whipped cream cheeses, and others you may find.
Cream cheese flavored with fruits are very tasty in candy, but some savory blends are just as delicious.
I had a successful idea that a cream cheese with hot peppers of some sort will offset the sweetness of the sugar in a cream cheese candy recipe. The flavor is similar to Edy's Hot Pepper Ice Cream in which peanuts are rolled in red pepper and added to a rich vanilla base. .
Hard, sharp cheeses will not work at all in these candy recipes. If you want to try another type, such as freshly made mozzarella, cut a recipe to 1/2 or 1/4 and try the smaller batch without a lot of waste if you do not like it.
For the no-cooking recipes, melt the cheese first, then remove it from the heat and stir in the other ingredients quickly and proceed with the recipe.
No-Cook Molded Candies
For this recipe, use your favorite candy molds or your ice cube trays, especially those that come in small cube sizes of holiday shapes.
If you use a regular ice cube tray, fill the compartments about halfway, unless you wish to have large pieces of candy.
- 1 4-ounce package cream cheese
- 4 Tbsp margarine or vegetable-based shortening
- 1/2 tsp flavoring of any type you like
- Food coloring, if desired
- 3 1/3 Cups powdered sugar
- Granulated sugar for final layer
- Candy molds or ice cube trays: any shape will do.
- Foil wrapping material, if individual wrapping is suitable.
- Butter for finger molding.
- In a mixing bowl, place the cream cheese and margarine together and cream them well.
- Next, add the flavoring and coloring if you wish and blend all this together well.
- With buttered fingers, knead the powdered sugar into the creamed cheese mixture.
- Form the candy dough into small balls, roll them in granulated sugar and press them into candy molds or ice cube trays. Refrigerate to set, un-mold, and serve.
Easy to Cook Candies
Chocolate Walnut Fudge
- A 1 pound loaf of Velveeta® or similar (a vegan variety will work), cubed; or 1 pound of mild white cheddar or white American, cubed and allowed to come to room temperature.
- 2 (16 ounces each) packages confectioners' sugar
- 1 Cup margarine or butter
- 1/2 Cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 Cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 Cup chopped English walnuts
- Cooking spray a 8 inch x 13 inch baking dish.
- In a medium sized pot before placing it over the stove-top burner, combine the cheese, cocoa, chocolate chips, and margarine.
- Set the mixture over medium-low heat and cook, stirring constantly, until cheese and chocolate are melted and well blended.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla, confectioners' sugar and walnuts.
- Pour the candy into the baking dish and set aside.
- Let candy cool to the touch and then cut into 2-inch squares.
Satiny Dark Rum Chocolates
Easy Rum Ball Candy
- 1, 8 ounce package of softened cream cheese
- 1, 16 ounce package of confectioners’ sugar
- 11/2 Cups of broken walnuts or sliced almonds
- 1 Tbsp dark Rum or 2 tsp rum flavoring
- Candy sprinkles of your choice, optional
- Cooking spray
- In the top of a double boiler melt the cheese. If you don't have a double boiler, place a smaller pan into a larger pan of boiling water.
- Stir in the sugar, nuts, and rum all at once.
- Using a spoon or small ice cream scoop covered with cooking spray, drop the candy mixture by spoonfuls onto a large sheet of waxed paper or parchment paper.
- Sprinkle with candy sprinkles, if desired
- Let cool until candy is well set and firm. Store in a lidded container in a cool, dry place.
- 6 ounces cream cheese, soft and at room temperature.
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 4 Cups sifted confectioners' (powdered) sugar
- 1 Cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 Cup shredded coconut
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp rum flavoring or any other flavoring you enjoy - orange, lemon, mint, peppermint
- 3 ounces of unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled but not hardened
- Butter or cooking spray
- Line an 8-inch square pan with foil or parchment paper, then butter or cooking spray the paper. This is done to prevent stickking of the gooey candy.
- In a mixing bowl, combine very well softened cream cheese and milk.
- Gradually add the sugar a little at a time while beating the mixture until it is very smooth.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of the nuts, the coconut, the vanilla extract and rum or other flavoring.
- Stir in melted, cooled chocolate and QUICKLY turn the candy out into the prepared pan; press it evenly across the bottom and into the corners of the pan.
- Sprinkle the top of the fudge with remaining nuts, pressing the nuts gently into the top of the candy.
- Cover the pan and chill it for at least 60 minutes or until set and firm. Cut into sqaures and serve, but store reminders in the refrigerator.
Silky Smooth White Fudges
Creamy Lemon Walnut Fudge
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel and 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 9 x 5 cooking sprayed baking dish (like a short loaf pan); or an 8 inch square pan will make thinner candy.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the cream cheese well until it is very soft.
- Next, pour in the lemon peel and lemon juice gradually while you continue to mix the ingredients together well.
- Next, add in the powdered sugar gradually in the same way.
- Finally, stir in the walnuts so that they are well distributed. Next, press the candy dough firmly into the bottom and corners of a the baking dish/pan.
- Chill the candy in the refrigerator until firm and cut into squares. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.
Smooth Vanilla Fudge
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 1 stick butter or margarine
- 6 Tbsp cream or evaporated milk
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 5 Cups of powdered sugar
- Let cream cheese and butter or margarine set on the counter until they reach room temperature, then cream them together.
- Add in the cream, salt, and vanilla and cream this mixture until it is fluffy in appearance and texture.
- Next, pour in the powdered sugar and mix well. Then use a teaspoon to drop candies made from the dough onto waxed paper or parchment paper. Alternatively, roll oput the dough onto the paper and cut into bite size pieces.
- Cover in an airtight container and place in the refrigerator.
You might want to divide this candy dough into section and use different flavorings and colorings. Reduce the original amount of vanilla to 1/2 tsp, but add 1/4 tsp additional flavoring for each section if you cut the dough into 1/4s.
Questions & Answers
© 2008 Patty Inglish MS