How to Make Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
The Time of the Year for Zucchini
Where I live in Pittston Township, PA, almost everyone has a garden, and in every garden are tomato plants and zucchini. These are two of the most popular vegetables to grow in our area. If your zucchini plants don't do well during any particular year, no need to worry, your neighbors or relatives will give you some. That's what happened to my husband and my garden this year. Our zucchini plants produced very little zucchini, so our relatives gave us some. That is why I made this zucchini bread.
I have another article posted with zucchini bread, but this one has a yummy treat added: chocolate chips. Also, there is a little orange flavor. The orange and chocolate flavors go so well with each other and combine them with the sweetness of zucchini bread. You can't beat it. I hope you get a chance to try and enjoy this treat. Each bite has that decadent taste of the slightly melted chocolate pieces. And this is a very easy sweet bread to make.
This recipe called for 1 cup of oil. I didn't want all of that oil so I used only half a cup of oil and half a cup of orange juice.
I also used walnuts instead of the pecans that it called for; for no other reason except that is what I have. So don't give up trying a recipe because you are missing one ingredient like that, just substitute or leave it out. Enjoy!
Photos of Chocolate Chip Zucchini BreadClick thumbnail to view full-size
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups zucchini, grated and drained of any liquid
- 1 cup walnuts or pecans, chopped
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees/ Grease (2) 9 x 5" loaf pans
- Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, spices and baking soda.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs with a wire whisk until light and fluffy. Add sugar and continue whisking until blended. Stir in oil, orange juice, vanilla, zucchini, nuts, chocolate chips, and orange zest.
- Stir in sifted dry ingredients. Pour into prepared loaf pans. Bake for 5o minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle. Let sit for about 10 minutes then invert onto dishes to cool completely. These loaves freeze really well.
Questions & Answers
© 2017 Rachel L Alba