Crispy Florentine Cookies
What Is a Florentine Cookie?
A Florentine cookie is a sweet pastry of nuts and candied cherries mixed with melted butter, sugar, and honey. Usually, on the bottom, they are coated with chocolate. These cookies are one of my favorite types to make during the holidays; however, they're also great for general snacking. Once you try your first one, I bet you'll want to eat a second right away!
It is widely believed that the Florentine cookie originated in Florence, Italy, simply because that is what its name suggests.
My Florentine Cookies
I decided to ditch the chocolate and make my Florentine cookies plain and simple (yet still delicious!). I wanted my cookies to be nuttier, too, so I chose to add extra nuts and seeds into the mixture. I added pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, black sesame seeds, white sesame seeds, and thinly sliced almonds. Honestly, you can use any kind of nut or seed you like! To speed up the process of making these cookies, I decided to use a store-bought Florentine flour mixture (a mix that contains the required amounts of sugar, honey, and butter). I was happy with the outcome.
Tips for Making Crispy Cookies
My technique for making these cookies extra crispy and crunchy is to pre-bake the pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and almonds for five minutes. Let them cool before adding them into the mixture.
My second tip is to keep the finished cookies inside an airtight container as soon as they have cooled. This will help preserve the crispiness.
How to Shape the Cookies
To shape the cookies, you can use small round baking tins (refer to the photo below) or a knife. I chose to do both; I used a knife for the square shapes and baking tins for the round shapes. It's totally up to you! However, if you are using a knife, the process has to be quick because as soon as the cookies are taken out from the oven, they will begin to harden and break easily.
These Florentine cookies are deliciously crispy in every single bite. I hope you will try my recipe, and I hope you will enjoy them as much as we do!
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes (includes baking time)
Serves: 50-60 cookies
- 500 grams Florentine flour mix
- 1 1/2 cups pumpkin seeds, pre-baked for 5 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups sunflower seeds, pre-baked for 5 minutes
- 1 cup sliced almonds, pre-baked for 5 minutes
- 1/2 cup black sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup white sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the Florentine flour mix with pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, almonds, white sesame seeds, and black sesame seeds. Use a spatula or spoon to mix until well-combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared baking sheet.
- Use a spoon to spread the mixture into a thin, even layer.
- Bake for 9 to 10 minutes, or until it's golden brown. (Be vigilant as these cookies will cook very fast).
- Use a knife to cut the cookies into a square shape.
- Transfer the cookies onto a wire rack to let them cool completely.
- Repeat the process until the mixture is done.
- Store the cookies in an airtight container to preserve the crispiness.
- Enjoy the cookies with a glass of milk.
Photo TutorialClick thumbnail to view full-size
© 2019 Liza