Easy to Make Recipe: Cut-Out Sugar Cookies
Perfect for Any Occasion
Sugar cookies are perfect for any occasion: birthday parties, school parties, holidays, and even as a way to say thank you. The best part of cut-out cookies is that you can shape them to be anything you want!
My great-grandmother shared this recipe with my mom who passed it down to me. I've passed it down to my daughters who will someday pass it on to theirs. Did I mention this makes great family memories, too?
I hope you'll enjoy it as much as we have over the years.
TIP: Add a little more flour to make the dough stiffer in order to roll out and make cut-out cookies.
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- Heat oven to 350.
- Cream together sugar, eggs and vanilla.
- Add flour, 1/2 cup at a time while stirring.
- Stir in baking powder and salt.
- Mix in vegetable oil and stir well.
- If making cut-out cookies, add 1/2 cup flour to stiffen the dough.
- Drop by teaspoon on a lightly sprayed cookie sheet.
- Press balls flat with the bottom of a glass dipped in sugar. If making cut-outs, roll out dough with rolling pin and then use desired cookie cutter shape before placing on cookie sheet.
- Bake until lightly browned.
- Decorate with icing and sprinkles if desired.
Buttercream Icing Recipe
- 1 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup Crisco
- 2 lbs. powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Food coloring
- Cream butter and Crisco together.
- Add powdered sugar, a little at a time.
- Add milk by teaspoon until you achieve the consistency you desire.
- Add vanilla.
- Stir well using a hand blender or mixing bowl.
- Add food color to achieve the color you want the icing to be.
Rate this Recipe
Which Do You Like Better?
Questions & Answers
© 2013 Sydney Spence