I am a chef on a luxury world cruise liner. I love to cook and write recipes that are inspired by foods from all over the world.
Most pie recipes call for eggs to bind the filling and make it more creamy. In this recipe, however, I omitted that ingredient and replaced it with cornstarch. The result was a properly thickened filling that was just as delicious.
For the pastry dough, you can buy ready-made pie crusts at the market, which is a great time-saver. When I make this pie, I often like to make my own pastry dough (see my "tips and techniques," below).
Please enjoy my recipe for a fruit pie without eggs.
- 1 1/2 cups fruit cocktail, drained
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- Pie dough, store-bought or homemade
- 1 medium bowl
- 4 small bowls
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- rolling pin
- silicone mat
- baking sheet
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- In a bowl, dissolve sugar in water. Set aside.
- Heat the pot and make a roux: butter and flour mixture.
- Pour the liquid mixture. Mix well.
- Add the fruit cocktail. Let it cook until the mixture becomes thick.
- Let the mixture cool down. Set aside.
- Pre-heat the oven at 200°C.
- Roll out dough into the desired size of the pie.
- Fill the middle of the rolled-out dough with pie filling.
- Fold and seal the dough. Repeat the process.
- Grease a baking pan or line it with silicone mat.
- Set the pies on the baking pan. Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Tips and Techniques
- Replace fruit cocktail with any fruits you have on hand.
- Increase the amount of sugar if you prefer a sweeter version.
- Control the sugar content by using an artificial sweetener such as honey or store-bought sweeteners for diabetics.
- Use an empty bottle of wine to roll out the dough if a rolling pin is not available.
- I like the texture of homemade pastry dough—it's soft on the inside but crunchy on the outside. The recipe I use is the same one that I use for my pigs in a blanket.
© 2018 Travel Chef