How to Make No-Churn Dragon Fruit Gelato
Dragon fruit, or pitahaya, is a tropical fruit with sweet and seeded flesh. Gelato is an Italian frozen dessert made with milk and sugar that is characteristically creamier than traditional ice cream. Since I don't have an ice cream maker, I used a spoon to manually mix the gelato until firm. Check out this simple no-churn recipe, and enjoy!
- 1 cup dragon fruit puree
- 250 mL all-purpose cream
- 250 mL evaporated milk
- 250 mL condensed milk
- 1 teaspooon vanilla extract
- 4 big bowls
- 1 small bowl
- measuring spoons
- measuring cups
- chopping board
- potato masher or fork
- big spoon
- In a large bowl, combine all-purpose cream, evaporated milk, condensed milk, and dragon fruit.
- Transfer the dragon fruit mixture to a freezer-safe container.
- Allow the mixture to freeze for at least 1 hour or until it has set a little bit. Remove it from the freezer and mix it with a spoon.
- Return the mixture to the freezer and let it freeze again for about 2 hours. Remove it from the freezer and mix it again with a spoon.
- Repeat this process at least one more time, or until the gelato has set.
- The gelato may be enjoyed on its own, or you may serve with ice cream cones, pancakes, or bread.
Photo GuideClick thumbnail to view full-size
Tips and Techniques
- Serve dragon fruit gelato with ice cream cones, pancakes, or bread.
- You may find that you'd like to adjust the amount of vanilla extract if the brand you are using is very strong.
- For a finer dragon fruit puree, use a blender.
- For texture, add dragon fruit chunks.
- Replace red flesh dragon fruit with white flesh dragon fruit.
Cooking With Dragon Fruit
- How to Make Dragon Fruit (Pitahaya) Jelly
Flavor your jelly with the taste of dragon fruit, also known as pitahaya or pitaya. Not only is this fruit delicious, but it also offers lots of health benefits. Loaded with fiber, this fruit is recommended for those having bowel movement trouble.
- How to Make Dragon Fruit Pancakes Without Baking Powder
Learn how to make delicious and healthy dragon fruit pancakes without baking powder. This recipe requires only six ingredients.
© 2020 Travel Chef