How to Make a Peanut Chikki or Peanut Jaggery Bar at Home
Homemade Peanut Jaggery/Chikki Bars
It is a Wonderful Recipe!
I never thought I could make peanut chikki at home so easily. I used to often buy them from the store, as I regularly eat these delicious sweets. I came across the recipe published in a magazine and seeing it inspired me to try making this yummy sweet myself. To my surprise, it came out really well. Compared to the store-brought one, homemade chikkis are smoother and, at the same time, very crunchy.
Ingredients for Making Peanut Jaggery Bars
- 2 cups peanuts
- 2 cups+2 tbsp powdered jaggery
- 1 tsp ghee
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Peanut Chikki/Jaggery Bars:
- Grease a rectangle or square tray with ghee. In this, you can make perfect square-shaped chikkis. I used a round pan, as I didn't have a square one.
- Heat a deep-bottomed pan. Add peanuts. Saute on a low fire, stirring continuously till peanuts become crispy. This may take about 5-6 minutes on low fire. Transfer them to a plate. Keep aside for cooling.
- Once completely cold, rub the peanuts between your palms to remove the skin. Do this little by little. Break each peanut in half, and remove the small part inside the halves. Discard these, as they are bitter. Don't worry if a few are left. They won't spoil the taste.
- Heat the same deep-bottomed pan. Add jaggery powder and two table spoons of water. Stir and boil the mix on low fire till you see froth all over. Continue boiling until you get two string consistency of this jaggery syrup. To test this, either you can drop a little syrup and see whether it falls like two strings at the end, or you can drop some syrup into the water and see whether you can gather it and form a ball. This is the right consistency for making the bars.
- Now, add peanuts. Mix it with the syrup. Boil the mix for a minute. Turn off the stove. Pour it into the greased tray. Let the thickness of the slab be about 1/3 inch. Gently tap the sides for ensuring even spreading of the mix. Keep the tray aside for setting.
- After 5 minutes, when the mix is still hot, draw square lines on it with the help of a greased knife tip. Don't insert it deep into the bar.
- After another 5-8 minutes, insert the knife tip exactly on the earlier lines, deep inside, and cut the pieces. Take them out one by one once you can move them from the base.
- These bars become super crunchy once they are completely cold. So, now scrumptious peanut chikki is ready to serve. Munch them whenever you desire. Gain good health and pleasure eating these yummy peanut jaggery bars.
Nutritional Information of Peanut Chikki/Jaggery Bars
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||72|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 8 g||12%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Carbohydrates 6 g||2%|
|Sugar 3 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 2 g||4%|
|Cholesterol 3 mg||1%|
|Sodium 1 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|