How to Make Halubai or Rice Pudding
A Biginners' Sweet Dish: How to Make Halubai At-a-Glance
This is an easy and simple authentic Indian pudding that can be made in 30 minutes. For making this dessert, you have to soak white raw rice in water for 4-5 hours. Strain, and put them in a mixer grinder. Add grated coconut and cardamom. Grind adding water to get a very smooth liquid. Pour it to a non-stick deep pan or a thick-bottomed deep pan. The rice mix needs to be very thin or flowing. Add water to adjust the consistency.
Add powdered jaggery. Turn on the heat and stir the mix continuously. This sweet has the tendency to burn in the bottom. Hence, you should constantly stir the mix till it thickens. Add 2-3 teaspoons of ghee. Continue stirring the mix at small intervals, till the content comes together as a mass. Add a teaspoon of ghee and mix. Now, you can observe the ghee oozing out from the pudding. At this stage, transfer it to a plate greased with ghee. Flatten it with the help of a ladle to spread the pudding till the edges of the plate. Ensure that the thickness of the pudding is about 1/2 inch. Keep aside for cooling.
When the pudding is still warm, cut it into square or diamond shapes with a knife tip greased with ghee. Collect the pieces on a plate or take them out at the time of serving. Delicious halubai is ready to eat. Serve this mouth-watering dessert with a spoon of ghee on top. Happy eating!
Halubai remains fresh for a day in room temperature. You can store them in refrigerator for one more day.
Some Important Tips:
1. This sweet has a tendency to burn in the bottom. So use non-stick deep pan. If you don't have one, use a thick-bottomed deep pan for making this dessert.
2. Stir the mix constantly until it becomes thick. After adding the ghee, you can skip stirring for 2-3 seconds in between.
3. The right time for transferring the pudding to a tray is when the mix becomes a single mass and oozes out ghee.
4. This sweet remains fresh for a day in room temperature.
Halubai or Rice Pudding
- 3/4 cup white raw rice, washed and soaked in water for 4-5 hours.
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 1 1/4 cup powdered jaggery
- 2-3 cardamom
- 3 tbsp ghee
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Rice Pudding or Halubai
- Grease a plate with ghee for pouring the pudding. Keep aside.
- Wash white raw rice. Soak in fresh water for 4-5 hours. Strain them, and put in a mixer grinder.
- Add grated coconut and cardamom. Grind, adding water to get a very smooth liquid.
- Pour the mix into a non-stick deep pan or a thick-bottomed deep pan. Add water to bring it to flowing consistency.
- Turn on the heat. Let the fire be medium low. Add jaggery powder. Constantly stir and fold the mix till it becomes thick. This sweet has the tendency to burn in the bottom. Add 2 table spoons of ghee. Mix well.
- Stir and fold the mix at short intervals till it comes together like a single mass. Add the remaining ghee and fold.
- Now you can observe the ghee oozing out from the pudding. At this stage, turn off the fire and transfer it to the greased plate.
- Using a ladle, flatten it and extend till the edges of the plate. The thickness of halubai should be about 1/2 inch. Keep aside for cooling.
- Grease a knife tip with ghee and cut the pudding into square or diamond shapes.
- Serve 2-3 pieces of halubai in a plate with a teaspoon of ghee on top. Enjoy eating this flavorful dessert!