How to Make Strawberry Brigadeiros
Strawberry Brigadeiros Waiting to Be Enjoyed
What Are Brigadeiros?
Brigadeiros are basically balls of sweetened condensed milk with additional ingredients added to give them different flavours. The traditional and most simple is the chocolate variation. My personal favorites are coconut brigadeiros as they aren't too sweet and have a gentle coconut taste. The possibilities when making brigadeiros truly are endless, as are the options for dipping them. The strawberries in this variation give the brigadeiros a bit of a sour taste and are balanced out by the white chocolate that adds some sweetness and a bit of a creamy taste.
Prep time: 5min
Cooking time: 20-30 min
Chilling time: 30-45 min
Ready in: 55min - 80 min
Makes: Around 20 strawberry brigadeiros
- 1 cup of strawberries — chopped into small pieces. Both fresh and frozen strawberries work well for this recipe
- 2 tbsp butter — add more if your dough is too liquidy. Margarine can be used instead of butter if desired.
- 1 can (300g) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup white chocolate — break it into small pieces for easier melting
- Place the strawberries into a medium frying pan and heat on low heat for a few minutes, constantly stirring.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and continuing stirring constantly.
- The mixture will boil and then thicken. You'll know you burned it if it turns golden and if parts of it stick to the frying pan when you stir. Alternatively, you can make the mixture golden on purpose by heating it for longer. Just don't stop stirring or it will burn and make your brigadeiros impossible to chew.
- Once the mixture has reached the desirable consistency - thick enough to be able to take parts of it and roll them into balls- remove from heat.
- Let chill for 30-45 minutes in the fridge in order to further thicken it.
Preparing the Dough
Possible Dipping Options
After rolling, brigadeiros are dipped into something that prevents them from being to sticky when touching and also makes them more appealing. The possibilities when choosing the dipping ingredients are endless, the only criteria being that it has to be something that comes in many pieces (or can be broken down to make many pieces) and that it goes well with the dessert.
Common Dipping Ingredients Include:
- Shredded coconut
- Chocolate sprinkles
- Rainbow sprinkles
- Cookie crumbs
- Icing sugar
- Shredded chocolate
You could also add your own option if you don't like any from the list.
Making the Brigadeiros
- Take the dough out of the fridge.
- Take small parts of the dough, around 1.5 tbsp in size and roll them into small balls.
- The dough may still be sticky, so a tip is to wash your hands with cold water prior to rolling the brigadeiros.
- After rolling the balls, roll them in your chosen dipping ingredient; I used shredded coconut
- Enjoy with tea or coffee!
Made it? Rate it!
What is your favorite type of brigadeiros?
Questions & Answers
© 2018 Janisa