I'm a thirty-something mum of two who loves to spend time with my kids reading, doing crafts, cooking, etc.
This Gateau Marie recipe is so easy to make and involves absolutely no cooking. Simply follow the steps to put the dish together, and then allow it to set for a few hours in the fridge. Do not allow the simplicity of the ingredients to put you off because this is really an amazing dessert.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
4 hours 15 min
An 8 serving gateau
- 3 packets tea biscuits (I used morning coffee biscuits), or any other semi-sweet, plain biscuits.
- 3 tins (170grams each) Nestle's cream, or any other pure dairy sterilized cream
- 2 teaspoons Instant coffee
- 2 large tablespoons Nutella, or any other chocolate hazelnut spread
- optional whiskey, just a dash to taste
- 75grams hazelnuts, chopped
- 2 squares chocolate, grated shavings
Read More From Delishably
- Line a 7x9 dish with cling film. (you can use any other similar-sized dish).
- Cover the base of the dish with a layer of semi-sweet tea biscuits.
- Fill a mug with hot water, dissolve a teaspoon of instant coffee and add a shot of whiskey to taste. (you can omit the whiskey or use another liquor of your choice.)
- Sprinkle the hot coffee over the biscuits until they are wet but not soaked.
- In another container, whisk the cream with the chocolate hazelnut spread.
- Cover the wet biscuits with a layer of chocolate cream.
- Line up another layer of biscuits and repeat steps 4–6 for a few times and finish off with the layer of chocolate.
- Sprinkle the top layer with generous amounts of chopped hazelnuts and chocolate shavings.
- Cover the dish with cling film or aluminum foil and allow to set in the fridge for at least 4 hours.
- When set, use the cling film to help you take it gently out of the dish. Cut into squares and serve cold.
Let Me Know What You Think!
This dessert is extremely popular on the island of Malta. I hope you will enjoy it and give it a try too. Please do leave your comments and feedback especially if you tweak this recipe. I do appreciate all suggestions.
Questions & Answers
Question: I did not understand why cling film is used. Can't the gateau be directly in the dish?
Answer: The cling film makes it easier to get out without breaking but yes you can do it without cling film.