How to Make a Heart Shaped Cake - A Step by Step Guide
Fun heart facts
- The heart is one big muscle
- The origin of "wearing your heart on your sleeve" comes from the middle ages, when suitors would draw names to see who their valentine would be and then pin the names to the sleeves of their garments.
- The Greek word for heart is "kardia".
Perfect for Valentine's Day or another special celebration, this fun and easy heart shaped cake can be created in the same amount of time that it takes to bake a regular cake. The best part about it is that you don't need a special heart shaped pan. You only need supplies that you probably have on hand.
Impress your family and friends by turning a simple cake into a heart shaped masterpiece in only a few easy steps.
- One square cake pan
- One round cake pan
- Cooking spray
- 1 box of cake mix, any type
- 1 tub of frosting, any type
- Cake decorations like sprinkles or colored sugar
Follow the photo guide below to create your heart shaped cake.
Tip: If you want a larger cake, use 2 boxes of cake mix and layer the pieces. You will need 3 tubs of icing for this larger cake, but will probably not use the entire amount of the third tub.
Step 1 - Prepare the pans
Step 2 - Prepare the cake mix
Prepare the cake mix as directed on the box, or use a homemade cake recipe. If using a homemade recipe, be sure that it makes enough for two cake pans.
Step 3 - Pour cake batter into prepared pans
Step 4 - Cool baked cakes
Step 5 - Cut the round cake in half
Step 6 - Assemble the cake for frosting
Step 7 - Frost the cake
Step 8 - Decorate the cake
Suggestions for your heart shaped cake
You don't have to use a cake mix for this recipe. As long as it makes enough batter for two pans, your favorite recipe will work just as well. Here are just a few ideas for your cake.
- Vanilla cake with chocolate or vanilla frosting
- Chocolate cake with chocolate or vanilla frosting
- Strawberry cake with vanilla frosting
- Mint chocolate cake with chocolate or vanilla frosting
- Chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting
- Decorate with toasted coconut
- Decorate with fresh strawberries
- Write "I Love You" with red hot candies on the cake
- Use colored sugar or jimmies as a decoration
- Use chocolate shavings as a decoration
- Add food coloring to frosting for a different look
- Use cookie cutters as templates to sprinkle sugar designs on the frosted cake
- Instead of frosting, use a doily as a template and sprinkle powdered sugar on the cake
- Microwave a store-bought tub of frosting for 30 second on 50% power. Stir and pour over the cooled cake. If it's too thick after 30 seconds, keep microwaving in 10 second intervals until it's just pourable. It makes a nice ganache for the cake.
© 2013 Glimmer Twin Fan