KT Dunn is a Midwest native who enjoys cooking, baking, and experimenting with new recipes.
This is a fun and easy version of a basic free-form fruit tart, or galette, using fresh nectarines and some everyday packaged ingredients. I like to use nectarines rather than peaches because there is no need to remove the smooth skins, and they add color to the finished tart. Peach gelatin instead of granulated sugar adds mild sweetness and a bit of depth to the flavors.
Following is the recipe for this summertime treat, along with a pictorial outline of the process in four easy steps.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Four to six servings
- 4 large nectarines (about 2 pounds), sliced
- (1) 3 oz. box peach-flavored gelatin mix
- 1 refrigerated prepared pie crust, (follow package directions for use)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- 2 and 1/2 to 3 tablespoons corn starch
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment or non-stick foil. It is preferable to use a pan that has sides, so as to catch escaping juices during baking.
- Wash and slice the nectarines.
- In a large bowl, toss the nectarine slices with the vanilla extract.
- In a small bowl, combine the peach gelatin, corn starch, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Toss the gelatin/corn starch/spice mixture with the nectarine slices until well combined.
- Unroll the pie crust and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Carefully pile the nectarine mixture in the center of the crust, leaving about a 2-inch margin around the edges.
- Fold up the sides of the crust all around, tucking it into pleats as you go.
- Brush the crust with milk and sprinkle with sugar, if desired.
- Place the baking sheet on the center rack of the oven, and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until well-browned and cooked through.
Read More From Delishably
Step 1: Gather the Ingredients
Step 2: Prepare the Filling
Step 3: Assemble the Galette
Step 4: Bake
When the galette is done, remove from the oven and place the pan on a wire rack to cool.
Slice and serve warm or cold, topped with whipped cream or ice cream.