Island Bites: Budín Puertorriqueño (Puerto Rican Bread Pudding)
Budín is a bread dessert that's very popular in Puerto Rico and the rest of Latin America. Unlike American bread pudding, Puerto Rican budín is served at room temperature or preferably cold. It's a great way to use stale bread. In addition to bread, raisins are a must in a traditional Puerto Rican budín. It is delicious, inexpensive, and easy to make.
Rate this recipe!
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 3 eggs
- 6 slices stale sandwich loaf/ sliced bread
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbs vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- a pinch of salt
- In a big bowl, whisk eggs and sugar. Add milk, vanilla, spices and salt.
- Crumble the bread with your fingers and add to the mix. Whisk until well incorporated. Must be somewhat thicker with little lumps. Let it set for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Fold raisins into the batter. Transfer to a pre-greased baking pan.
- Bake at 350 for about 40-45 minutes or until set. Traditionally, it is served at room temperature or cold.
- If you don't like raisins, you could use nuts instead. Add a layer of nuts at the bottom of the pan before the batter, for a crunchy topping.
- You could use coconut milk instead of evaporated milk and garnish with toasted coconut.
- Soak the raisins in rum for an extra kick.
Questions & Answers
Can Italian bread be used Puerto Rican bread pudding?
Yes, of course!Helpful 2
Does your budin bread pudding come out with the caramel-like sauce at the top? Or do I have to make the caramel separately?
Some people make budin with caramel, as if they were making flan. I do not add caramel to budin.Helpful 13
Do I need to dilute the evaporated milk with equal amounts of water when making Budín Puertorriqueño?
No water. Just the evaporated milk.Helpful 9
What size pan should I use for this recipe?
It depends, but a size 8 or 9 pan would be ok. You could also make it in a cupcake pan, or whatever else pan you like.Helpful 7
Do you cover your baking dish when baking Island Bites?
No, bake them uncovered.Helpful 7
© 2013 IslandBites