How to Make an Amazing Lemon-Curd Cake Filling
Homemade Lemon Curd Recipe
How to Make Lemon Curd
I really wish lemon curd had a gloriously beautiful name—the taste of this silky pudding certainly deserves something eloquent and gorgeous. I have to admit, the word "curd" doesn’t sound awesome. It conjures up images of Little Miss Muffet and her accompanying spiders—not nice at all.
But if you can get past that. Lemon curd really is the most wonderful, delightfully bright-tasting stuff. Silky, just sweet enough, and about as perfectly lemony as anything can get, this go-to dessert filling doesn’t take much effort or time to make, and the reward is heavenly. You can use this as a filling for cakes of course, but it has a much greater range than just as a filling. It’s perfect on its own too, with perhaps a dollop of freshly whipped cream. It’s the perfect dessert for summer. Or you can sneak it out of the fridge with just a spoon—not that I’ve ever done such a thing.
Lemon Curd Recipe - Ingredients
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 large egg yolks
Lemon Curd Recipe - Directions
- In a heavy saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, and salt. Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in egg yolks.
- Return the pan to the heat, reduce heat to medium-low and cook, whisking constantly until mixture thickens, about five minutes.
- If the mixture coats the back of a wooden spoon, and your finger leaves a path when drawn through it, you know it’s thick enough. Be very careful not to let it boil – it will curdle.
- Immediately strain the curd through a fine sieve to remove any solid bits from the lemon zest or solidified egg yolk. Don’t skip the straining – you can see all the icky bits in the picture below.
- You don’t want those in your beautiful, silky lemon curd. Allow it to cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally, then cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Check Out the Quick Tutorial!
One Stick - or 1/2 Cup of Butter, Melted
Add Lemon Zest
Stir to Combine and Add Egg Yolks
Over Medium Low Heat
Coat the Spoon
It will Hold a Line
Place a Fine Mesh Strainer Over a Large Bowl
Stain the Warm Lemon Curd
Transfer to a Container to Cool
Questions & Answers
© 2017 Jan Charles