Jan has been cooking and writing about food for over 20 years. She has cooked on multiple television stations, including the Food Network.
Lemon Sandwich Sugar Cookies
These Are a Sure-Fire Hit at My House, and Everywhere Else
We adore lemon desserts at our house, and I came up with these beautiful sandwich cookies a few weeks ago to gratify my daughter's love of lemony goodness. I quickly discovered I had a hit on my hands, and the batch disappeared in a blink.
These cookies spread nicely, giving the perfect size for a crispy sandwich cookie. Watch them right out of the oven—they're delicate at first, so use care transferring them to the baking rack to cool.
If you'd like smaller cookies, simply use a smaller disher, or drop the cookies from a regular teaspoon.
These are perfect for summertime and are a winner at bake sales. These treats are nice and showy, so whip these up next time you have a sale. One of the best things about these is that they are very fast to make. They take less than half an hour from start to finish, which is a winner in my book!
Lemon Sandwich Sugar Cookies Ingredients
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1½ Tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1¼ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Recipe lemon buttercream frosting
- Optional: a couple of tablespoons of sugar for dusting the finished cookies
Lemon Sandwich Sugar Cookies Directions
- Preheat oven to 350F°.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy—about 5 minutes.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl as you work.
- Stir in vanilla extract, lemon juice and lemon zest. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Using a disher or small scoop, drop cookie dough onto an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for just at 10–12 minutes, or until golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- You can dust the warm cookies with sugar if you'd like. Or, once cool, spread lemon buttercream frosting on half the cookies, and top with the other half.
The Creaming Method
Stir Together Dry Ingredients
Fresh Lemon Zest
Check Out the Quick Tutorial!
How to Make the Lemon Buttercream Frosting
Make Your Own Vanilla Extract!
Quick and Easy Lemon Zest
Lemon Sandwich Sugar Cookies
© 2017 Jan Charles
Donna Herron from USA on October 06, 2017:
Hi Jan - These cookies look beautiful and sound delicious. Pinning to my recipe board! One question - are these cookies soft to bite into, or are they more crunchy when cooled? Thanks for sharing this lovely recipe!
Rachel L Alba from Every Day Cooking and Baking on October 05, 2017:
Looks good enough to eat, Jan. This one is going to be pinned and I will be making them. Thanks for sharing.
Blessings to you.