How to Make a Delicious Lemon Syrup Butter Cake
Luxurious Delicious Lemon Syrup Butter Cake
This is one of my favorite cakes, as it is simply moreish. One of the major bonuses with the syrup cake is the fact that it can be stored for a longer period of time than most cakes due to the fact the syrup preserves it. This treat also stays nice and moist for up to a month or sometimes more.
- 125g Butter
- 3 Small eggs
- 130 Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Orange zest grated
- 1 Tbsp Lemon zest grated
- 13g Sifted plain flour
- 1/2 Tbsp Baking powder
- 3 Tbsp Warm water
- 100g Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Orange juice
- 2 Tbsp Lemon juice
- The cake: Whip the lemon zest, orange zest and sugar into the butter with a fork until almost mousse like in texture. Add the 3 eggs one by one, and keep whipping it with the fork. If the mixture starts to clump, add a little flour whilst whipping with the fork.
- Sift the baking powder together with the flour and heavily fork it into the butter along with the water.
- Using a spoon decant the mixture into a 500g pre greased cake tin with the base lined. Bake on 180c for 45 minutes, or until a clean fork prodded into the centre comes back out clean.
- The syrup: Put the sugar, lemon juice and orange juice into a saucepan, and heat it on a low heat until you can no longer see any sugar. Keep the syrup slightly warm on a low heat.
- Take the cake out of the oven, place on your cake cooling rack, prick it all over with a fork and spread half the syrup on. Leave it for 5 minutes, flip it over, peel off the greaseproof paper, fork the holes as before, and cover with the remaining syrup.
- Allow the cake to cool then serve, or store for 6 days maximum in a tin, or freeze for a maximum of 4 to 8 weeks.