M&M Cookie Recipe
If you want to make a mouth-watering batch of homemade cookies, you have got to try this M&M cookie recipe passed down to my mother from my great-grandmother. I have tried a variety of cookie recipes over the years, but none of them have even come close to these delicious made-from-scratch treats.
So put down those already made packages of cookie dough and learn how to make M&M cookies the good old-fashioned way. This article will walk you step-by-step through preparing the dough and will give you helpful baking tips, making this recipe totally fail-proof.
Trust me - once you go homemade, you will never pick up those store bought packs of cookie dough again!
Rate This Cookie Recipe
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1/4 cups self-rising flour
- 12 oz bag of plain milk chocolate M&M's
If you would like to add a little more variety to this cookie recipe, reduce the amount of M&M's to a 1/2 cup and add a 1/2 cup of any of the following suggestions:
- Chocolate chips
- Toffee chips
- Peanut butter chips
- In a large bowl, mix the shortening, brown sugar, and sugar together until well blended.
- Add the vanilla and eggs and stir vigorously to beat these ingredients into the above mixture.
- Add the flour and 1 cup of M&M's to the bowl. Mix all ingredients together until a soft dough forms.
- Chill the finished dough in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. This step is optional but chilling the dough makes it easier to handle as it prevents the dough from sticking to your hands and the cookie sheet.
- Roll the dough in your hands into walnut size balls. Slightly flatten the balls of dough with the bottom of a glass or the palm of your hand. Add extra M&Ms to the top of each cookie.
- Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet at 375F. For a more chewy cookie, bake for 10 minutes. If you prefer a more crunchy cookie, bake for 12 minutes.
- Once the cookies are finished baking, immediately remove the batch with a spatula and place on a sheet of wax paper to cool.
M&M Cookies Nutrition
|Serving size: 1 cookie|
|Calories from Fat||72|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 8 g||12%|
|Saturated fat 4 g||20%|
|Unsaturated fat 3 g|
|Carbohydrates 21 g||7%|
|Sugar 14 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 2 g||4%|
|Cholesterol 15 mg||5%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Although many people think of using a bag of plain milk chocolate M&M's with this easy cookie recipe, be adventurous and try out another variety of this world famous Mars candy. Using a different variety of M&M's can give your homemade batch of cookies an unexpected, but delicious twist of flavor. Some different options you could use include dark chocolate, mint chocolate, almond, pretzel, peanut butter, or even coconut M&M's.
If you are looking for a simple and homemade cookie recipe, I do hope that you will give these made from scratch M&M cookies a shot. I guarantee that you will not be disappointed with the results. If you have any questions or comments about any part, feel free to leave these in the comment section below. Happy baking to all!
Helpful Baking Tips
Here are a few helpful baking tips that will come in handy with this delicious cookie recipe:
- For a more chewy cookie, be sure to bake on an ungreased baking sheet as cooking spray or greasing it with butter can cause the bottom of the cookies to turn brown and crunchy. After baking for 10 minutes, immediately transfer the cookies to a sheet of wax paper where they can cool.
- To achieve a more crunchy cookie, bake each batch for the whole 12 minutes. You can also leave them on the baking sheet for a couple of minutes to further brown the bottom of the cookies.
- If you would like to make a smaller batch of cookies or prepare the dough ahead of time to use at a later date, you can store this recipe in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months. When ready to use, simply place the container in the refrigerator for a few hours to allow the dough to completely thaw.
M&M Fun Facts Quiz
view quiz statistics