Making Idli Dessert or Idli Jamuns
A Wonderful Dessert Made With Leftover Idlis
Idli is the most sought-after breakfast dish in India. Many households often make idlis for breakfast, so there are typically leftovers. Using them as is tends to be boring. So, making dessert using these idlis is a brilliant idea.
These Idli jamuns are crunchy, soft, and incredibly delicious. Making them was fun and hassle-free. It took me about fifteen minutes to make them for three people.
Making Idli Dessert (Idli Jamuns) At-a-Glance
To start with, you have to make sugar syrup. Next, deep fry idli chunks in oil until crispy brown. Soak these pieces in hot sugar syrup.
Serve them once they absorb the syrup and become soft.
Let's take a look at the detailed recipe.
Idli Dessert or Idli Jamuns
- 3 idlis, I used flat idlis, chopped them into 1 centimeter cubes
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 10 tbsp sugar
- 2-3 cardamoms
- oil for deep frying
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Idli Dessert (Idli Jamuns)
- To start with, make sugar syrup. For that, take 1 1/2 cups water in a saucepan. Add sugar. Boil the mixture. Stir it occasionally.
- Boil until the syrup thickens a bit. Add cardamom powder. Mix well.
- Making the sugar syrup may take about 8-10 minutes over medium heat. Next, turn off the heat. Roughly cover the syrup with a lid. Keep aside.
- Fry idli pieces in oil till crispy golden brown. Drain the excess oil by holding them slanting.
- Put them in the sugar syrup. Fry all the idli chunks and soak them in hot syrup. Keep aside until these fried idli chunks absorb the syrup, become soft, and juicy.
- Serve 3-4 of these jamuns along with some sugar syrup in a bowl. Enjoy this heavenly treat!