How to Make Milk Cake (Kalakand), an Authentic Indian Dessert
Homemade Kalakand (Milk Cake) Recipe
It takes quite a long time, about one hour, to make this recipe, but it's worth every minute. And though it takes a while, it is very easy to make this dish, as there are not many steps involved.
- 1 liter milk, thick variety
- 120 grams or 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ghee, for greasing the tray
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, mix it with 2 tablespoons of water
- 1/2 teaspoon rose essence, optional, gives nice aroma
- Grease a deep tray or steel bowl with ghee. This is for pouring the hot milk cake. Keep aside.
- Mix a teaspoon of lemon juice with 2 tablespoons of water in a bowl. Keep aside.
- Start heating milk in a deep-bottomed pan, preferably a non-stick pan. Boil it. Don't add water.
- Stir it often and scrape the sides to remove the milk solid depositing on the sides. Continuous stirring is important to prevent from burning in the bottom.
- Regulate the heat while boiling and stirring the milk.
- After about 20–25 minutes, the milk becomes moderately thick and reduces to half of its original volume. Continue stirring on a medium flame.
- Once the quantity reduces to about 1/3, add lemon juice mix. Don't stir the mix for 30 seconds.
- Now, start stirring once again. You will observe that milk has turned into granules. After stirring for 5 minutes, add sugar.
- Continue stirring till the mix becomes thick and starts leaving the bottom. At this point, transfer it into the greased bowl or tray.
- Make the surface even by gently pressing with a spoon. Cover the bowl with a silver foil. This is to retain the inside heat. The mix continues cooking inside and changes into a darker shade. Keep aside for 5 hours or till heat reduces and becomes warm.
- When still warm, draw Square lines on the cake and make it deeper to make pieces. Take them out one by one.
- Mouth-watering milk cake or kalakand is ready! Eat and relish the taste.
Step-by-Step Photo Guide for Making KalakandClick thumbnail to view full-size
Nutritional Information of Kalakand or Milk Cake
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||81|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 9 g||14%|
|Saturated fat 5 g||25%|
|Carbohydrates 32 g||11%|
|Sugar 28 g|
|Fiber 0 g|
|Protein 15 g||30%|
|Cholesterol 28 mg||9%|
|Sodium 314 mg||13%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
© 2017 ShailaSheshadri