Making Milk Cake (Kalakand), an Authentic Indian Dessert
Milk Cake or Kalakand
Yes, it takes quite a long time, say one hour, to make this recipe. Believe me, it is very easy to make this dish, as there are not many steps involved in this.
Ingredients for Making Kalakand
- 1 liter milk, thick variety
- 120 g or 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp ghee, for greasing the tray
- 1 tsp lemon juice, mix it with 2 table spoons of water
- 1/2 tsp rose essence, optional, gives nice aroma
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Kalakand or Milk Cake:
- Grease a deep tray or steel bowl with ghee. This is for pouring the hot milk cake. Keep aside.
- Mix a teaspoon of lemon juice with 2 table spoons of water in a bowl. Keep aside.
- Start heating milk in a deep-bottomed pan, preferably a non-stick pan. Boil it. Don't add water.
- Stir it often and scrape the sides to remove the milk solid depositing on the sides. Continuous stirring is important to prevent from burning in the bottom.
- Regulate the heat while boiling and stirring the milk.
- After about 20-25 minutes, the milk becomes moderately thick and reduces to half of its original volume. Continue stirring on a medium flame.
- Once the quantity reduces to about 1/3, add lemon juice mix. Don't stir the mix for 30 seconds.
- Now, start stirring once again. You will observe that milk has turned into granules. After stirring for 5 minutes, add sugar.
- Continue stirring till the mix becomes thick and starts leaving the bottom. At this point, transfer it into the greased bowl or tray.
- Make the surface even by gently pressing with a spoon. Cover the bowl with a silver foil. This is to retain the inside heat. The mix continues cooking inside and changes into a darker shade. Keep aside for 5 hours or till heat reduces and becomes warm.
- When still warm, draw Square lines on the cake and make it deeper to make pieces. Take them out one by one.
- Mouth-watering milk cake or kalakand is ready! Eat and relish the taste.
Nutritional Information of Kalakand or Milk Cake
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||81|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 9 g||14%|
|Saturated fat 5 g||25%|
|Carbohydrates 32 g||11%|
|Sugar 28 g|
|Fiber 0 g|
|Protein 15 g||30%|
|Cholesterol 28 mg||9%|
|Sodium 314 mg||13%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|