How to Make a Sweet Sago Kesari Dessert
How to Use Sago:
I used tiny nylon sago. You have to wash them once or twice, and then boil with sufficient water till they are transparent. Stir it occasionally, and be watchful. Otherwise, the sago may become overcooked and mushy. Strain it. Pour water on it. Now you have a nice pearl-like sago. Use them for making this dish.
If you are using white sago, you have to soak them for about 10 hours or overnight before boiling. Strain the water, and cook them in fresh water till transparent. The remaining procedure is just like that of nylon sago.
- 1 cup nylon sago
- 3-4 cups water
- 3/4 cup sugar, or as per taste
- 3-4 tbsp ghee
- a pinch cardamom powder
- a few drops pineapple essence, optional, I used
- a few strands saffron, optional, I used
- tiny pinch orange food color
- 10 cashew nuts, broken
- 2-3 tbsp fresh milk cream
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Sago Kesari Dessert:
- Wash sago 2 times. Add fresh water and boil on medium heat till they become transparent. Strain. Run cold water on them. Keep aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp ghee in a deep bottomed pan or in a non-stick pan. I used non-stick pan. Saute cashew pieces till it changes color. Remove, keep aside.
- Add cooked sago to the same pan. Saute them for a minute on low fire.
- Add sugar. Now sago starts becoming loose. Stir it continuously to ensure not burning in the bottom. Pour some ghee at intervals.
- Add saffron strands and food color. Mix well. Pour the remaining ghee. Add fresh milk cream. Continue cooking till the content starts leaving the bottom and ghee oozes on the edges.
- Sprinkle a few drops of water to get the proper consistency. Add cashew nuts and pineapple essence. Mix well. Turn off the fire.
- Adding drops of water at this stage is to moisten the sago pearls to avoid becoming hard when cold.
- Transfer sago kesari to a serving bowl. Garnish with a few strands of saffron.
- Mouth-watering Sago Kesari Dessert is ready to serve. Eat it hot or warm. Relish the taste!
- This dessert stays fresh for 2-3 days. After the first day, store it in the refrigerator. While eating, drizzle some water or ghee to make it moist and serve it hot or warm.
Some Important Tips:
1. In the first step, while boiling sago, be watchful to stop the heat exactly at that point when it turns transparent. Eat a few sago to ensure the perfect cooking.
2. Once cold, the sago in this dessert may become a little hard. Puff them with a fork, sprinkle some water and reheat it to get the original texture. Serve this dessert always warm or hot.
3. Using saffron and pineapple essence gives really a nice flavor.
4. Adding milk cream makes it rich, flavorful, and thick.