Millionaire's Pie Recipe
Millionaire's Pie Recipe
Legend has it that this delicious pie was first made in the Myrtle Beach area of South Carolina. The pie was so rich and delicious, so they decided to name it "Millionaire's Pie." Before long, the recipe had spread all over the country, but the name stuck. There are several versions, but here is what I consider to be the best one. Try it and see what you think and post a comment below.
- Graham cracker pie shell
- One 8-ounce package of softened cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sugar
- One 8 ounce can of crushed pineapple, undrained
- One cup fresh frozen coconut. (Save 1 tablespoon)
- One cup pecans, finely chopped
- One 8-ounce container Cool Whip
- Cream together cream cheese and sugar with a hand mixer for 3-4 minutes. Add in the pineapple, coconut, and pecans and mix together very well.
- Now fold in half of the whip and mix well together
- Pour into the graham cracker pie shell.
- Take the other half of the cool whip and place it on top of the pie.
- Toast the tablespoon of reserved coconut to golden brown under your broiler and sprinkle it on top of your pie for garnish.
- Cover the pie and place back in the freezer. When ready to serve, let the pie thaw just enough to be able to be able to cut into it.
- Serve on saucers or plates that you have had in the freezer for at least four hours—it will work even better if they have been in the freezer over night.
- If you wish, you garnish the top of your pie with a maraschino cherry.
I was one of the first people to make this pie at Hanna's Cafeteria in Surfside Beach South Carolina in 1979. I got the recipe from my Mom and, over time, I would say I have made tens of thousands of these pies. I know I make it better than anyone else on Earth.
Here are some of the accolades I have received for this pie alone:
- I won a gold ribbon for it at the 1999 Miami Food Show and $500.00 cash.
- I won a first place trophy and $100.00 cash for this recipe at the Pikes Place Pie Contest in 2000.
I hope you will make the pie and let me know what you think. I think the recipe as made is wonderful, but you can add to it or take away things if you want to. However you do it I bet it will be delicious. I hope one is in your future real soon.
- You can choose to add cherries to the pie or not. Sometimes I make it with and sometime I don't. If you really want it to stand out, then by all means, make it with the cherries.
- I recently made this pie into cupcakes and people just simply loved it that way as well. I used tin foil cup cake papers and made the pie in the cup cake papers and then I served one little millionaire pie cupcake to each person, and they loved it that way. You can do them this way for a dinner party and people will be sure to love them.
I do believe the first pie of this kind was made in and around Myrtle Beach and Charleston South Carolina. I know that in the summer of 1979, I made several thousand of these pies and I know I am always told it is the best that people have ever tried. In fact, I'm going to be making several of these and entering them in a local cooking contest soon. I will be sure to post photos of the pies.
I believe that I make this pie better than anyone else, and if you need help making it just post a comment below and post your question.
More by this Author
Here you'll find three different versions of delicious no-bake oatmeal cookies.
Here we have a recipe for the world's best coconut cake. This cake is so delicious and it's easy to make too. Let's make one.
Here is one of the best pork chop recipes ever. Once you taste these breaded baked pork chops I think you will agree.