How to Make My Mimi's Strawberry Cake
Growing up, we had homemade meals every night, and if we were lucky, we'd have homemade desserts, too. One of my favorites was my Mimi's homemade strawberry cake—and to this day, I ask for it on my birthday every year. So I thought I'd share the recipe with you!
The Original Recipe CardClick thumbnail to view full-size
For the cake:
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 box strawberry Jell-O
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup diced strawberries
For the frosting:
- 1 box white powdered sugar
- 1 stick butter
- 2 cups strawberries
- Add ingredients in order, beating well after each addition.
- Beat egg whites separately until stiff.
- Fold the egg whites into the mixture after adding strawberries.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes in a long pan.
- Make the frosting: Mix the powdered sugar, butter, and strawberries. Mix until fluffy.
- Frost while the cake is still warm.