Here is my favorite strawberry cake recipe that my Mimi use to make.
Growing up, we had homemade meals every night, and if we were lucky, we'd have homemade desserts, too. One of my favorites was my Mimi's homemade strawberry cake—and to this day, I ask for it on my birthday every year. So I thought I'd share the recipe with you!
The Original Recipe Card
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
For the cake:
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 box strawberry Jell-O
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup diced strawberries
For the frosting:
- 1 box white powdered sugar
- 1 stick butter
- 2 cups strawberries
- Add ingredients in order, beating well after each addition.
- Beat egg whites separately until stiff.
- Fold the egg whites into the mixture after adding strawberries.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes in a long pan.
- Make the frosting: Mix the powdered sugar, butter, and strawberries. Mix until fluffy.
- Frost while the cake is still warm.
Audrey Shropshire (author) from Spokane on May 31, 2017:
Hi Lena! We've always frosted the cake while it's still warm to create sort of a "glaze" instead of a standard frosting feel. However, you can always wait to frost when the cake has cooled if you'd prefer that!
Lena Durante from San Francisco Bay Area on May 31, 2017:
I'm curious, is there a particular reason for frosting the cake while it's still warm? I always find that if I don't let it cool properly, I end up with some crumbs getting in my frosting.