Best Mini Cheesecake Recipe
What is better than cheesecake? Mini cheesecakes! I have been searching and searching for a recipe that recreated the texture and taste of a New York cheesecake and have experimented with a lot of different varieties, much to my dismay as none of them quite fit the bill. They were either too soft in consistency or too bland in taste. I have even tweaked to my heart's content but could not quite get the recipe right.
Finally I found what I was looking for and further tweaked this recipe by cutting it in half (it makes two perfect 4-1/2 inch spring-form mini cheesecakes this way) and using the variation for New York cheesecake. However, as luck would have it, I did not have graham crackers as I forgot that I sent them home with my son in his care package! Since it was Christmas Eve and the stores were closed, necessity became the mother of invention yet again and I tweaked the crust.
The original recipe actually suggests making 4 of these and you could mix and match them with the various additions or toppings suggested for a lovely variety and presentation.
I also decided since I was tweaking to go all the way and threw in some white chocolate chips to add to the New York variation. The result I think was absolutely wonderful. There was not a morsel left so that must be a good sign.
Photo Credit: WikiCommons MindMatrix on flickr
Mini Cheesecake Recipe (New York White Chocolate)
This recipe makes two 4-1/2 inch spring-form cheesecakes - New York style with white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup ground granola crumbs mixed with ground hazelnuts (note below)
- 1-1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 tablespoons butter or margarine melted
- 1-1/2 packages (8 ounces each) of non-fat (Neufchatel) cream cheese, softened
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 tablespoons egg (or 6 tablespoons of egg substitute)
- 1/8 cup (2 tablespoons) sour cream (I used nonfat)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons flour
- 2-3 tablespoons of white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Mix together the crust ingredients.
- Divide between two 4-1/2-inch spring-form cheesecake pans and press the crumbs onto the bottom of the spring-form pans.
- Bake in 300 degree oven for 7 minutes. Cool.
- Combine cream cheese, sugar and vanilla in mixer or use a hand mixer to beat. Beat on medium speed until well combined.
- Add eggs or egg substitute in parts, mixing on low speed until blended.
- Stir in the sour cream, flour and white chocolate chips to combine.
- Divide the batter in half - should be about 1 cup per cheesecake of batter. Pour over the 2 crusts.
- Place the cheesecake pans onto a cookie sheet.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until center of cheesecake is almost set. I let them sit in the oven after I turned it off for another 10-15 minutes.
- Use a knife or metal spatula to run around the sides of pan to loosen.
- Pop the spring-form rims once cakes are cooled.
- Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
NOTE: The original recipe calls for 1/2 cup of graham cracker crumbs, chocolate graham cracker crumbs or chocolate wafer cookies but you can basically substitute bread crumbs, vanilla wafer crumbs, etc. I had absolutely none of the above so I decided to just be creative and thought hazelnuts sounded like a great substitute as well as ground up dry granola. I put them in my mini-food processor and the resultant ground crumbs were just perfect in consistency for the recipe.
I found the original recipe at dianasdesserts.com and as above, modified the recipe to make less and changed the ingredients to fit what I have/how I cook, etc. She had a lot of great suggestions for toppings, additions though and here are some of them and some I threw in as well.
Her recipe (see link) makes 4 and her suggestion is to make 4 different ones which would be a great idea as well. You would just use about 1 cup of batter for each cheesecake.
STIR-IN AND TOPPING IDEAS
- Apple Pie Mini Cheesecake- Stir in ground cinnamon to batter; bake as directed. Top cheesecake with warmed apple pie filling and brown sugar
- Chocolate Chunk Mini Cheesecake - Stir milk chocolate chunks into batter and bake as directed
- Citrus Mini Cheesecake - Stir in lemon, orange or lime juice in batter along with flour and grated citrus peel; bake as directed
- S'mores Mini Cheesecake - Stir in milk chocolate chunks; bake as directed. Top with miniature marshmallows and broken graham crackers
- Cookies and Cream Mini Cheesecake- Stir in chopped cookies like Oreos, Nutter Butter or Chips Ahoy/other cookies; bake as directed
- Chocolate Royale Mini Cheesecake - Stir in semi-sweet baking chocolate melted; bake as directed
- Peanut Butter Mini Cheesecake - Stir in peanut butter and milk; bake as directed
- Mocha Mini Cheesecake - Stir in instant coffee granules, hot water and semi-sweet baking chocolate melted; bake as directed
- Fresh fruit makes a simple yet delicious topping - any kind - just washed and dried
- Pie filling also makes an excellent topping for cheesecakes - just make sure you drain off some of the liquid
- Poached pears or other poached fruit also makes an excellent topping - easy on the liquid if you want to preserve the New York cheesecake texture
- Spread a thin layer of sour cream atop the cheesecakes and then top
- Chocolate sauce or any nut sauce
- Vanilla sauce or caramel sauce
- Fruit sauces of any kind
- Lemon curd in small amounts can also be very delicious on cheesecake - would probably be excellent on the citrus variation above
- Sprinkle with nuts of any kind for a very simple topping
- Sprinkle with shaved chocolate
- Drizzle melted chocolate of any kind for a dramatic presentation
- Drizzle any sauce for the same kind of presentation