Apple Crisp With Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie Filling and Red Hots
Apple Slicer/Corer/Peeler Tool
If you can possibly find one, get yourself a apple peeler/slicer/corer tool. My son built me a cutting board that fits inside my sink, and I attach the peeler directly to it.
It's nice. You pull the crank shaft back, poke the apple by the stem, push the apple to the cutter side, start turning the crank, and within seconds, the apple peeler knife pares the apple. Then, the apple is turned across a sharp blade, which cuts a circle in your apple that separates the core from the slices, and a round, flat blade evenly slices your apple into thin slices. Then, you remove the apple from the prongs.
At this point, I place my apple over the pan and use a small knife to cut the whole, sliced apple into small, one-inch pieces.
- 8 Honeycrisp apples, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup red hot candies
- 1 can Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Filling
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup flour
- Peel and slice apples, place in pan, sprinkle 2 tablespoons of cinnamon across apples, add 1 cup of water. Add, half cup of red hot candies.
- Spread 1 can strawberry/rhubarb pie filling across top of apples.
- Mix 1 stick of melted butter, 2 cups of sugar and 2 teaspoons cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg and 1 cup of flour together. Spread on top of pie filling. Put in oven and bake for 1 hour. Remove when evenly bubbly and top coating is browned.