Old-Fashioned Sweet Potato Pie Recipe
Old Fashioned Sweet Potato Pie
We all remember that lovely aroma of a freshly baked sweet potato pie. We helped in the kitchen to make it, or we waited eagerly to taste it. That pie was always delicious, and if we were too slow, we didn't get but one piece.
Sweet potato pie was usually made on holidays or special occasions. Way back in the day, neighbors and family would make sure they would drop by to say hello just to get a slice of pie. There was always more than one pie made, luckily.
A youngster's thoughts would be "Oh, no! They are going eat up all of our pie." There was always one pie put aside for the family—well, most of the time anyway. The smell of a homemade sweet potato pie always put everyone in the household in a joyous mood with a big smile on their faces in anticipation of tasting that first slice of hot pie. Today, you can buy this dish already prepared, but you will miss that wonderful aroma given from your own fresh-baked pie, which is very easy to make.
- 4 large sweet potatoes or yams, boiled, peeled,mashed
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup carnation milk
- 1/4 cup whole milk or 2%
- 1 Tbs nutmeg, ground
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 stick butter, melted
- 1 unbaked defrosted 9" pie shell
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Boil unpeeled sweet potatoes or yams until done, and peel.
- Mash sweet potatoes until smooth.
- Beat eggs and milk together. Add to pie filling along with other spices. Beat until smooth.
- Add more milk if needed. Filling should be somewhat thick and not too loose.
- Pour filling into pie shell.
- Bake for 45 min. to 1 hour. Use tip of knife to pierce filling, when the knife comes out clean your pie is ready.
- Serve as is or top with ice cream or whipped cream. Enjoy.
Sweet potato pie choices
Do you like sweet potatoes made into a pie?
Questions & Answers
Could cinnamon be added to the sweet potato pie recipe to kick up the flavor?
Yes, 1-2 teaspoons will enhance the flavor.Helpful 2