Orange, Hazelnut, and Chocolate Torte Recipe
Elegant, large, and wonderfully complex with its multiple layers of hazelnut, orange, and chocolate, this beautiful torte is a fitting centerpiece for any dessert. The flavors meld together, without one overpowering the others—the fruit and the chocolate merging for delicious results. It is quite smooth and easy to eat, and a great boon for any fruit lover, irresistible in its delicacy and the richness of the orange flavor. There is also a slight coconut flavor, which simply completes the bountiful fruit flavor.
As a bonus, I would suppose that this recipe doesn't contain any gluten. So for those who actually care about such things (I must admit I can't be bothered and find it a fad for the most part), it can be consumed.
I have adapted this recipe from The Viennese Pastry Cookbook by Lilly Joss Reich, making a variety of modifications.
- 6 egg yolks
- 6 egg whites
- 3 oranges used for juice or grated
- 3 cups finely ground hazlenuts
- 1 1/2 cups sugar sugar
- 1 1/2 bars sweet butter
- 3/4 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons coca powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
- chopped strawberries, for garnish
- chopped, toasted, blanched hazlenuts, for garnish
- Combine together 1 cup of sugar and the 6 egg yolks, and beat together until pale and creamy. Then add the rind of 1 orange, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, and the juice of this grated orange, mixing together. I would recommend to use this to help grind the hazelnuts, as the hazelnuts required a large amount of liquid to grind effectively, and still required water to truly blend.
- Fold the stiffly beaten egg whites into the ground hazelnut and sugar recipe. Fold until all ingredients are well blended. Then pour into a 9 inch springform pan (which should have no cook spray or butter/flour applied), spread evenly on top, and cook for 60 minutes in a 350 degree (Fahrenheit) preheated oven.
- After allowing the torte to cool for a day, slice it into 3 layers.
- Cream 1 1/2 bars of sweet butter with 3/4 cup confectioner's sugar and the 3/4 cup of shredded in the coconut. Then add the rind of the remaining 2 oranges. Add the juice of 1 of these oranges. Blend together. I found that combining all of the orange juice made it too wet and it did not stick together. If this is not the case with you feel free to add in the remaining orange's juice.
- Spread the orange buttercream on the two internal layers.
- Before serving, beat 1 cup of heavy cream until it is stiff, then add 1/2 cup of sugar, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla. Add in 3 tablespoons of cocoa powder. Spread over the top and sides of the torte. Add chopped strawberries and if desired chopped, toasted, blanched hazelnuts, for garnish.