How to Make the Perfect Peach Pie From Scratch
As I write this article, the first day of summer is less than two weeks away. Farmers' markets throughout the area are in full swing, and very soon fresh peaches and nectarines (the non-fuzzy cousin of the peach) will be available for snacking, blitzing into a smoothie, slicing on breakfast cereal, tossing into salad or cottage cheese, or (my favorite) getting turned into a home-baked pie.
Perfect Pie Crust Recipe
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 10-inch tart pan
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 to 5 tablespoons ice water
- Lightly spray the bottom and sides of a 10-inch tart pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine the flour and salt in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add olive oil, and toss lightly with a fork to mix flour and oil.
- Add ice water, starting with 3 tablespoons. Toss the mixture gently with a fork. If it seems dry, add another (and up to 2) tablespoon of ice water. Handle gently.
- Dump the mixture out onto a sheet of plastic wrap. Form it into a ball and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Remove from refrigerator; unwrap and roll out the dough on a floured surface.
- Carefully ease the dough into the prepared 10-inch tart pan. Set aside.
Perfect Peach Filling Recipe
- 5 cups diced peaches (about 5 medium-size peaches)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- Toss the diced peaches and lemon juice together in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the sugar and flour and mix gently. Let rest for 30 minutes, stirring several times.
- Pour the peach filling into a pastry-lined tart pan.
Perfect Streusel Topping Recipe
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Place all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor. If you do not have a food processor, use a medium-size mixing bowl.
- Pulse 5 or 6 times or until the butter/flour/sugar mixture forms small crumbs. If you are not using a food processor, cut the butter into flour/sugar mixture with a pastry blender.
Complete the Perfect Pie
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Top the peach filling with streusel. Distribute evenly, making sure to get crumbs to the edge of the pie.
- Bake in te preheated oven for 40 minutes or until the crust and streusel are golden and the filling is bubbling. I would recommend placing the tart pan on a rimmed baking sheet. This pie tends to be rather juicy, and the baking sheet will prevent spills in your oven.
- Allow it to sit for at least 30 minutes before serving (filling will thicken a bit as it cools).
- Enjoy with whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
Questions & Answers
© 2017 Linda Lum