Puerto Rican Dessert Recipe: Flancocho
This Puerto Rican dessert is one of my favorite recipes. It is a layer of cake on the bottom, flan on the top and it's covered in caramel. This recipe calls for cake mix. You can use your favorite cake mix. I prefer chocolate.
- 1 cup sugar
- Flan :
- 6 eggs
- 1 can condensed milk
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cake :
- 1/2 box chocolate cake mix, or whatever your favorite is
- 1 egg
- 1/2 stick butter
- 3/4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix ingredients for flan in a bowl
- In another bowl mix the ingredients for the cake
- In a saucepan melt the cup of sugar being careful not to burn it. After it is melted pour the caramel into a cake pan. Swirl the pan around to cover the bottom with the caramel.
- Pour the flan mixture into the cake pan.
- Carefully pour the cake mixture on top of the flan mixture. It should float on top of the flan mixture. Use a knife to spread it evenly across the top of the flan.
- Put the cake pan inside a larger pan of water (baño de maria)
- Place in the oven and cook for 45-60 minutes until the cake is done.
- Take the flancocho out of the oven and let it cool on the counter. Once it's cooled down a bit, run a butter knife around the edge of the cake pan to loosen the edges on the cake. Carefully turn the cake over onto a flat plate inverting the cake.
- Refrigerate for 2-3 hours
The flancocho tastes great without any toppings. But if you like you can add strawberries or whip cream on top. Enjoy!