Old-Fashioned Maple Pecan Pie Recipe
This recipe for old-fashioned maple pecan pie is one I found among a purchased collection from an estate sale. As satisfying a dessert as this is, I have no name for the person who deserves credit for putting the recipe to paper. On trying it at home, I discovered it makes for a rich take on ordinary pecan pie.
In the recipe you will find instructions for preparing the pie shell crust. This is a light and flaky crust, much superior to most store-purchased ones. But while I would suggest making the crust yourself for the full experience, I see no problem in skipping that particular step if you prefer using a pre-made pie shell instead.
Rate This Recipe
Ingredients for Pie Shell Crust
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1 pinch powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
Instructions for Pie Shell Crust
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, salt, cinnamon and powdered sugar. Using a clean knife or pastry blender, cut in the shortening until the mixture takes a grainy texture. Add the water a small bit at a time, and whisk with fork until all flour is moist and pulls easily away from sides of bowl. You may add a few more drops of water if needed.
- Roll this crust pastry into a ball and flatten over flour-dusted surface. With a rolling pin, now roll the pastry into plate shape. With a large metal spatula, carefully transfer the pastry into a deep dish 9 x 11 pie pan. Press the crust pastry across bottom and sides of pan. If you do not have a large spatula, transfer by cutting the flattened pastry into fourths and carefully place it into the pan—then massage the crust pastry with your fingers until it covers the bottom and sides. You will wish to trim any excess that may be hanging over the edge of pan. Gingerly press a fork around the crust pasty edge to give a fluted presentation.
- Set the prepared crust pastry to the side or place in the refrigerator until you are ready to add the filling.
Ingredients for Filling
- 1/3 cup melted butter or margarine
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons maple liqueur or 3 teaspoons maple extract
- 1 teaspoon dark brandy
- 1 cup pecan pieces or slivers
- 1 cup halved pecans
Instructions for Making the Filling and Preparing the Pie
- Set aside the 1 cup of halved pecans.
- Set aside the 1 cup of pieced or slivered pecans.
- In a large bowl and using a whisk or hand beater, mix all other filling ingredients for about 3 minutes. Stir in the pieced or slivered pecans. Spoon this filling into your pie shell.
- Arrange the pecan halves atop the filling in whatever decorative style you like.
- Place pie into the preheated oven and bake 30 minutes. Lower heat to 300°F. Bake for an additional 20–25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool 20–30 minutes.
- Place the pie into the refrigerator and let it chill for at least 2 hours before serving.