L.M.Reid creates tasty and delicious recipes with step-by-step instructions and photos so you can learn how to make each recipe at home.
Homemade Lemon Cake Bars
These homemade lemon cake bars are deliciously moist treats you can make easily at home. I have included step-by-step instructions and photos so you can follow this recipe easily.
For the base:
- 200g plain flour
- 60g caster sugar
- 140g butter
For the filling:
- 50g plain flour
- 200g caster sugar
- 120ml lemon juice (about 3 medium lemons worth)
- 3 large eggs
Step 1: Prepare the Cake Tins
- Preheat the oven to 160C/320F (fan) or 180C/350F/Gas mark 4 (convection).
- Line two 7-inch cake tins with greaseproof paper, leaving some overhang to use as handles.
- Grease the tins and let them chill in the fridge while you make dough.
Step 2: Make the Shortbread Base
- Sieve together flour and sugar.
- Add butter and mix until resembling coarse breadcrumbs.
- Continue working mixture until a smooth dough forms.
- Divide dough between tins and press down evenly, filling any cracks.
- Pierce dough repeatedly with a fork to prevent bubbles.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until starting to brown around edges.
Step 3: Make the Filling
- Sieve together flour and sugar and mix until fully combined.
- Add lemon juice and mix until no lumps remain.
- Add eggs and whisk at medium speed for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Divide filling between tins as soon as base is cooked.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until filling has set firm.
Step 4: Cool, Chill, and Serve
- Run a knife around the edge and lift paper handles gently to loosen from the tin.
- Allow it to cool in the tin at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Move to fridge to chill for 3 hours.
- Transfer to plate and remove the greaseproof paper.
- Dust with icing sugar before serving.
- Cut into wedges.