L.M. Reid is an Irish writer who has published many articles. She creates delicious recipes and has plenty of dinner and desserts to share.
For the base:
- 200g plain flour
- 60g caster sugar
- 140g butter
For the filling:
- 50g plain flour
- 200g caster sugar
- 120ml lemon juice (about 3 medium lemons worth)
- 3 large eggs
Step 1: Prepare the Cake Tins
- Preheat the oven to 160C/320F (fan) or 180C/350F/Gas mark 4 (convection).
- Line two 7-inch cake tins with greaseproof paper, leaving some overhang to use as handles.
- Grease the tins and let them chill in the fridge while you make dough.
Step 2: Make the Shortbread Base
- Sieve together flour and sugar.
- Add butter and mix until resembling coarse breadcrumbs.
- Continue working mixture until a smooth dough forms.
- Divide dough between tins and press down evenly, filling any cracks.
- Pierce dough repeatedly with a fork to prevent bubbles.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until starting to brown around edges.
Step 3: Make the Filling
- Sieve together flour and sugar and mix until fully combined.
- Add lemon juice and mix until no lumps remain.
- Add eggs and whisk at medium speed for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Divide filling between tins as soon as base is cooked.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until filling has set firm.
Step 4: Cool, Chill, and Serve
- Run a knife around the edge and lift paper handles gently to loosen from the tin.
- Allow it to cool in the tin at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Move to fridge to chill for 3 hours.
- Transfer to plate and remove the greaseproof paper.
- Dust with icing sugar before serving.
- Cut into wedges.
Danny from India on August 11, 2020:
LM Reid, nice recipe. It's wonderful the way you have used lemons to create the end product.