L.M.Reid creates delicious recipes and gives step-by-step instructions with her own photos so you can learn how to make each recipe at home.
Recipe for Chocolate Cake
Learn how to make this delicious chocolate cake with dulce de leche filling from scratch. It is an easy recipe to follow, and I've included step-by-step instructions along with my own photos and as well as a video to help guide you.
For the filling, I show you how to make your own homemade caramelized condensed milk. You can buy this ready-made in tins in the stores and shops; it is usually called "caramel treat." But it is very easy to make yourself, and it will taste a lot better.
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 135 grams soft butter
- 250 grams caster sugar
- 1 drop vanilla extract
- 75 grams unsweetened cocoa powder
- 75 grams all-purpose plain flour
- 3 large eggs
Step 1: Prepare the Condensed Milk
- Take the can of condensed milk and remove the label.
- Fill a large pot with water and place on the cooker or stovetop.
- Place the can of condensed milk into the pan and bring the water to the boil. Then turn down the heat and simmer for 3 hours. Check periodically to make sure that the water is at least 1 inch above the can at all times.
- After 3 hours, remove the can from the pot and place it in cold water. Allow to cool down.
Dulce De Leche Tip
So long as the can remains unopened it will retain the same shelf-life as the original condensed milk meaning this can be made months in advance.
Step 2: Make the Cake Batter
- Preheat the oven to 160C/320F (fan) or 180C/350F/Gas mark 4.
- Grease two 7 inch/18 cm cake tins.
- Cream the butter, sugar and vanilla extract together in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the eggs to the mixture one at a time and mix in well.
- Sieve the cocoa powder into the bowl.
- Sieve the flour into the bowl and mix in well with a spoon.
Step 3: Bake the Cake
- Divide the mixture and spread evenly between the two cake tins.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Turn them out onto a wire cooling tray immediately and allow to cool completely.
Step 4: Prepare the Dulche de Leche and Assemble the Cake
- Empty the cooked dulche de leche from the can to a microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave for 10 seconds, remove from the microwave and stir it well.
- Put it back into the microwave for another 10 seconds.
- Take out and continue to stir again. Do this until no lumps remain.
- Spread most of it over one of the cakes with a knife.
- Place the other part of the cake on top of this.
- Add the remaining caramelized condensed milk to the top.
- Place in the fridge for the dulce de leche to set.
- Can be served with cream, ice cream or on its own.