How To Make Fruit Scones Recipe
How To Make Scones
Making your own scones is really very easy to do. It only takes thirty minutes from the time you take out your ingredients, mix them together and bake in the oven.
I have included photos and step by step instructions.
- 225grams/8 ounces self raising flour
- 25 grams / 1 ounce of butter
- 1 egg
- 140ml/5fluid ounces milk
- 2 teaspoons of Baking Powder
- Salt, Sugar
The secret to a delicious well risen scone is speed. Do not take too much time mixing the ingredients.
You want it well mixed with plenty of air but not too mixed so that the ingredients become heavy.
- Preheat the oven to Mark 8, 230C or 450 F. This is very important. The scone mix needs to start to bake immediately when it has been put in the oven.
- Whisk the egg in a separate bowl with a fork enough to combine the egg yolk and white together.
- Add some margarine to the baking tin
Step 2: Mixing the Dry Ingredients
- Using a suitable mixing bowl sift the self raising flour and baking powder in to the bowl. Most cooks would not feel the need to use baking powder if using self raising flour but I find it gives the recipe that added lift.
- Add a pinch of salt and two table spoons of sugar. Mix together with a spoon.
- Add the sultanas
- Cut up the butter into squares and quickly rub the butter in to the dry ingredients until you have a crumbly mixture.
- Make a hole in the centre of the mixture.
- Add the beaten egg and some milk into the bowl.
- Mix the ingredients together quickly with a wooden spoon. It depends on the consistency of the mixture as to whether you need to add more milk to the scone mixture.
- It should be sticky but easy to pick up with your hands. If it is too dry then you can add a little more milk and mix until it is perfect consistency.
- Add some flour to your work surface and lift out the scone mixture
- Add a little flour to the top of the mixture to allow for easy rolling.
- Remove the scone mixture from the bowl and add to floured surface
- Roll the scone mixture until it is one inch in thickness.
- Cut out two inch rounds of the mixture. This can be done by a special scone cutter or like the photo shows here by using the rim of a clean glass.
- Put the scones on to the baking tray you prepared earlier.
- Brush a small amount of milk to the top of each scone.
This will give the baked scones a nice browned and glazed appearance when cooked.
- Put the scones in the pre heated oven on the top shelf to cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove the cooked scones from the oven and place a damp cloth over the scones for five minutes.
Fruit Scones with Jam and Cream
Cut the scones in half and add the Jam and whipped cream
How to Make Scones
So as you can see from the step by step guide above it really is very easy to make delicious homemade scones in thirty minutes.
This recipe has my own variation of ingredients which can be changed to your own requirements if you want. The sugar I add is there to give the scones that extra sweetness.
There are two reasons I add the baking powder to the self raising flour. The first is because it makes the scones rise and taste better.
The second reason is because my mother taught me this recipe when I was very young and she always adds the baking powder when she bakes her homemade scones.
All Images are the copyright of L.M.Reid