How to Make a Russian Carrot and Chocolate Cake
Yes, it is a traditional Russian recipe.
No, it doesn't include vodka or any other alcohol.
This cake has been a family favourite for generations. I remember my grandma making it, then my mother. The original recipe didn't include the milk sauce, which was added later to add moisture to the cake. Don't worry if you don't have any actual milk around! It works just as well using evaporated milk or condensed milk. Omit the sugar if using condensed milk.
Rate This Cake!
Additional Chilling Time: 8 Hours, Preferably Overnight
Ingredients — For the Cake
- 1 cup fresh carrots, grated
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup flour
Note: You can always double the recipe if you need a larger/higher cake.
Ingredients — For the Milk Sauce
- 4 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp butter
These are the original amounts, but I tend to use more to get a more moist cake. A moist cake is perfect, unless you're planning to take it somewhere where people will eat with their hands.
- grated white chocolate to taste
- shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 300-350F (150-180C).
- Combine all cake ingredients in a large mixing bowl, mix with a spoon.
- Pour into cake mold, place in the oven. Bake for around 40 minutes.
- Prepare the milk sauce when the cake is almost done. The hot sauce needs to be poured over the hot cake. In a small saucepan, combine the ingredients for the sauce: milk, sugar, butter and heat on low heat until the butter melts and the sauce is well-blended.
- Remove cake from the oven. Get a large flat plate and flip the cake upside down onto it.
- Pour the milk sauce over the cake, making sure to not miss any parts.
- Sprinkle some grated white chocolate and (or) shredded coconut on top.
- Leave in the fridge for at least a couple of hours, preferably overnight.
Why Does It Take so Long to Make?
The actual preparation and baking take 60-75 minutes.
What gives this cake its moist texture is the milky sauce that is poured over it at the end. For best results, this sauce needs some time to soak in, so leaving the cake overnight to soak is best.
What If I Want to Take This to a Party?
Of course you can! It's great for Halloween and Christmas parties/get-togethers. Just cut the cake into square or rectangular pieces so that there's enough for everyone.
What do you Think?
Would you have guessed that this is a carrot cake just by looking at the photo?
Questions & Answers
© 2018 Janisa