One of Susan's passions is cooking and creating new recipes for family and friends.
It Isn't Christmas Until I Make Shortbread Cookies!
To me, it is just not Christmas until I have made shortbread. My grandmother made shortbread every Christmas, and my first recipe is from her. I should add that she was from Paisley, Scotland, so this recipe is genuine shortbread.
Recipes on This Page
- Authentic Scottish Shortbread
- Shortbread Bars
- Whipped shortbread
Cook and Prep Time (With Stand Mixer)
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
62 shortbread cookies
Recipe 1. Authentic Scottish Shortbread
This is my grandmother's recipe from Scotland. It's my favorite shortbread cookie recipe.
- 1 pound of butter (at room temperature)
- 1 cup (packed) icing sugar
- 4 cups of flour
- Pre-heat oven to 275˚F.
- Beat and cream butter until fluffy.
- Add icing sugar and flour. Mix with your fingers (make sure your hands are clean) until all is well blended.
- Make into several balls and pat out on a floured countertop or wax paper.
- With a rolling pin, roll out to about ½ “ thick.
- Cut into shapes with a cookie cutter. You can also make the dough into a pie shape and place it into a pie pan. Score a design into the shortbread pie.
- Bake in oven until set and very light brown. Every oven is different so time fluctuates. I just keep checking after about ten minutes.
- Remove shortbread cookies with a spatula, and set onto a cooling rack.
Using a Stand Mixer for Shortbread
This year, I decided to try this recipe using my stand mixer. It was so much easier than kneading with my hands, and with the time I saved, I was able to make some peanut butter banana cookies for the dogs.
Recipe 2. Shortbread Bars
The next recipe comes from an old friend, and these are very good!
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 pound of butter
- 3½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup rice flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350˚F.
- Blend 1 cup of sugar in blender for 30 seconds.
- Add the sugar to softened butter and cream until fluffy.
- Combine flour and rice flour, and beat into butter gradually.
- Turn onto lightly floured surface and knead until smooth.
- Add up to ½ more flour if needed.
- Press into a 15 x 9” cookie sheet.
- Score into bars with a sharp knife. Prick surface with a fork up and down the dough.
- Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- Bake to a golden brown, which takes 30–40 minutes.
- Cut along scored lines, cool and store in an airtight container. Makes 48 bars.
Recipe 3. Whipped Shortbread
- 1 pound of butter
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups icing sugar
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup corn starch
- Preheat your oven to 325˚F.
- Beat butter until white.
- Beat in all the following as you add it. Add sugar and cornstarch gradually. Add vanilla, and then add flour gradually.
- Drop by teaspoons onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 12–18 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool the cookies on a cooling rack.
- Makes 100 cookies.
© 2010 Susan Zutautas