Simple Butter Cookies
Original and Simple
This is my family recipe for butter cookies, or "Melting Moment" cookies (in South Africa where I grew up, we call them "butter biscuits"). They melt in your mouth and are seriously simple to make.
I recall my aunt making these at Christmas time as a kid; we all knew that there were a batch of butter cookies in the oven because the delicious smell would waft throughout the house as they were baking, bringing us in from playing outside to come see if any were ready! (We didn't mind eating the raw cookie dough either.)
Pretty soon, I began helping her, donned my very own apron, making all sorts of butter cookies—there are many variations one could make with this simple mix: if you added cocoa and coconut for instance, you'd get coconut-choc cookies. You could try jam cookies, cookies with sprinkles, cookies with icing sugar, and even cookies dipped in melted chocolate. But this recipe is the base recipe, delicious and simple on it's own, that pairs especially well with a cup of tea and is super easy to make.
- 2 sticks of butter (approx 150g)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup corn starch
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp dry vanilla extract (optional)
- jam preserve (optional)
- Mix all ingredients together after sifting dry ingredients (ensure butter is soft)
- Roll dough out and cut shapes, alternatively roll out little balls and press down lightly with a fork (pictured above)
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 350F/180C for 10 minutes
- Cool and serve
Possible Cookie Variations
You could add cocoa, coconut, sprinkles, nuts or fruit jam preserve, just to name a few. We made thumb print 'wells' on some of the cookies then filled it with a teaspoon of cherry jam before baking.
You could make these cookies in many different shapes to celebrate different holidays for example:
- Christmas trees for Christmas
- Leaf, turkey and other Autumn-appropriate shapes for Thanksgiving
- Egg or Easter Bunny shapes for Easter
- Heart Shapes for Valentines
...and the list goes on. This dough is very versatile, and simple, and doesn't need many ingredients, and tastes really delicious, and that's what I love best about it.
Butter Cookie Stack
Home is where the cookies are.
Whats your favourite butter cookie?
© 2018 Shizette