Simple Chocolate and Banana Pudding Recipe
When it comes to recipes, there is often a balance between the amount of work that is put into it, the complexity of the dish, and the excellence of the result. With this banana chocolate pudding recipe, however, only a small amount of labor is required to make an appealing dish that still produces a splendidly and superbly good result. It belies the small size of the individual ramekins (although not of the total size which is quite respectable, even large) by the dense deliciousness of the results. It takes barely any time at all to make, requiring only an uncomplicated pastry cream to be made and then this to be stirred together with chocolate to make a rich chocolate pudding. Combine this with layers of bananas and a topping of whipped cream, and it makes for an unforgettable chocolate dessert.
I had previously made a banana-chocolate creampie recipe, which had been a tremendous hit, so much so that after taking it to a potluck it had almost all been consumed! Sadly this had left very little for my own family, so I had decided to make a pudding version of it utilizing the delicious pie filling from this recipe. The result is this, which makes some small changes to adapt it to a pudding function.
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) butter
- 1/2 cup + 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 4 cups milk
- 9 oz semisweet chocolate chips
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 5 large bananas
- 1 cup + 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons, vanilla extract
- chocolate shavings, (optional, for garnish)
- strawberries, (optional, for garnish)
- First, mix together the 6 egg yolks and 1 cup of sugar, and whisk until it is pale yellow and thick. Then add in the 1/3 cup cornstarch, and the 1/4 teaspoon sugar, whisking once more to incorporate. A thick mixture will be produced.
- Place the chocolate, butter, and vanilla, in a large saucepan.
- Combine the milk and 1/2 cup cream in a large saucepan. Heat until it begins to boil, then remove from heat. Add 1 cup of this mixture with the egg yolk-sugar-cornstarch mixture, stir until it is smooth, then add this back into the milk-cream. Return to heat and heat until it begins to thicken appreciably.
- Add the pastry cream into the chocolate and stir until it is all melted together with no lumps.
- Peel and chop the 5 bananas, into 1/4 inch thick rounds. Layer the bottom of a number of ramekins, pudding cups, or other containers with 1/2 of them, then add in the chocolate over them. Add the remaining bananas on top.
- Beat the 1 1/2 cups of cream until it begins to hold crests. Then add in 1/3 cup of sugar, and beat until it holds stiff peaks. Spread this over the pudding cups decoratively. Garnish with chocolate shavings and/or strawberries.
Questions & Answers
© 2018 Ryan Thomas